360 degree appraisals

I'm extremely interested in implementing these at my organization, but I'm not sure where to start. Currently performance appraisals are administered solely by the employee's supervisor. Any advice, information, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Having been through it once, with disastrous results, here is the downside as I see it:
    By implementing such a process, you are implying that the opinions of all people involved matter. The first time your 360 process is circumvented, its integrity (and possibly yours) is shot. Additionally, you will have people involved in the process who may feel as though their input was ignored in certain situations. Even if this is a misperception, it is difficult to combat. Lastly, if implemented incorrectly/improperly, it can lead to reduced supervisory accountability. People need to know where the buck stops.

On paper, it looks great. Many organizations have had success with it. Proceed with extreme caution.

• WOCO Frank is a 'nailhead hitter'. Its a consultant's dream. But, it more often than not is a disastrous time-waster. On paper, like he said, one thing. But altogether different in outcomes. I've seen it result in groups figuring out how to manipulate pay increases and I've also seen how vindictiveness can emerge from the peanut gallery finally getting a 'shot' at a coworker. I think it is a perfect example of how a corporation can jut off in odd directions that have very little if anything to do with the company's bottom line. I'll bet you this: There has never been an HR Manager to leave one job for another, where the employees at the first place said things like, "Ya know, I really liked her/him. She/he implemented this wonderful 360 appraisal process that increased morale, improved productivity and led to personal performance enhancement."
  • I'm going to weigh in on the other side. I've seen these be extremely helpful in developing managers. In my last company, we used these for the six senior level managers (I was one of the six so I was a "victim" of this program, not the initiator)and did them two years in a row. Most of the executives made great strides in improving their skills. But the gentlemen above are correct. You have to handle it correctly.

I think it is difficult to do internally. I would recommend outsourcing this to maintain as much aninimity as possible, to increase the candor and honesty of the information gathered and to remove any concerns the people being evaluated have about discussing the results. The participants will want to know who will see their final reports. If you want to make it very effective, tell the firm you hire to do this to create only one report, which will be given to the participant when the report is reviewed with them. Whoever discusses the results with participants needs to be competent to make developmental suggestions to help each individual. Do not tie compensation or promotion to 360's because you will cause people to play with the system and modify their remarks if the project is not done purely to help them develop. I'll be glad to make suggestions about how to do this and can refer you to outside sources if you like. Please feel free to call me.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]