Dress Code - your feedback please...

Hi All,

Our current dress code does not allow for open-toed shoes, which doesn't go over particularly well, especially in the summer months. This restriction has been in force since we opened, nearly 10 years ago b/c of safety implications (dropping something on one's foot, injuries, etc.) Can anyone tell me if this is part of your dress code, and if not, have you had many injuries resulting from one's toes not being covered?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We are a manufacturing facility with a rule of no open-toed shoes in the plant. We've not had a problem with this. We do have some office personnel who wear open-toed shoes, but they typically don't go into the plant.
  • Employees who work in our warehouse must wear steel toe shoes. Employees who work in our office are allowed to wear open toe, sandals, etc, as part of our business casual environment - but no beach flip flops...

The injuries we have seen stem from office personnel who go wandering into the warehouse. The biggest culprit seems to be smooth leather soles of some sandals that slide like skis over a warehouse floor. Thus, we do our best to keep people out of the warehouse. If the clerk who runs for supplies needs to go in there frequently, it is understood that she is expected to wear full cover shoes with nonslip soles. (She keeps a pair of gym shoes at her desk for this very purpose now).

Good luck. Lori
  • Same here... office staff can wear them but anyone working in a food service, housekeeping, or maintenance area is not allowed to wear open toed sandals for health or safety reasons.

Now if you saw my toes you could argue that I shouldn't be allowed to wear open toed sandals for aesthetic reasons. But I work in Oregon where babies wear Birkenstocks instead of booties.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]

• In our medical facility, our office personnel generally wear the types of shoes they desire, closed toe, open toe and in one case recently, I found an Accounts Payable Clerk running down the hall in no shoes. (That was a bit much!).

Anyway...in the hospital, because of safety concerns, (slick floors, equipment, etc) no one is allowed to wear open toe shoes or clog type shoes.
  • Our bank's dress code allows open-toed shoes, and we have had no safety or injury issues with them....yet.
  • Open toed shoes are allowed. No injuries reported. Office setting.
  • We do have a policy of no open-toed shoes in our production area. It is not actually stated in our dress code, but it is stated in our safety manual that open-toed shoes are not allowed. We still have a few who will wear them in the summer, but they are supposed to get sent home. We do not have any issues with injuries. Well, except for the time that any employee ran a pallet jack into the back of another employees foot, which rammed his foot under a machine where it was pinned...not pretty, but it had nothing to do with open toed shoes.
    Our office employees that spend time in the production area do keep tennis shoes at their desk.