Waiver for Weapons Policy?

Company has a "no weapons" policy. If an employee is licensed to carry a gun and occasionally carries one in his car because he transports large sums of cash for the business, can we just have him sign a waiver with the business owner signing off on it?

Thank You!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • An emplyer can have a "no weapons" policy and prohibit individuals (employees, customers, public) who may be licensed to carry weapons from bringing them on to its property.

Obviously, if an employee's job duties is to carry a weappon such as a security guard for a company, that's a diffent matter. In those situations of course the comapny hires people who are fully trained and licensed, have good judgement etc., in performing their secuirty duties and in carrying and using a gun.

If there is no job-related reason for an individual to carry a gun while at work, I really don't see why the employer would allow it. If there is a personal security issue for the individual, then that would be a highly unique situation. But from what you describe, if the indivdiual has another job that requires carrying cash and a gun, the employer should still ban it and let the empl0yee work out the problem with the other employer.
  • I think what you are saying is that he/she carries the gun to protect your business's money when it is transported to the bank. I would amend or re-daft your policy to add language that permits people to carry a weapon for a business reason only with written permission signed by whomever is the the highest level authority in your facility (CEO, General Manager, etc.). My weapons policy has this language which I will send you if you e-mail me.

I would also give the person that receives that permission written guidelies that he/she signs to say that he/she understands the parameters under which this permission is granted - The weapon is only to be used for protection during trips to the bank. It is not to be brought inside the facility. He/she is not to show it to anyone while on company premises, etc.

Hope that helps. Also make sure his/her permit is current at all times and he/she is permitted to use the gun for protection of the compnay's money.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I would think long and hard about allowing this employee to carry a gun while on company business. Is this employee a trained security person? Probably not. If this employee uses the gun, even if he thinks it is for self protection or protection of the company's assets, he is using it as an agent of the company. And the company could be liable for any negligence or accidents involving the use of that gun.

Good Luck!