Three month performance reviews

Hi HR Colleagues,
I am looking to implement three month reviews for new hires. We currenlty conduct annual reviews, but I feel it is important for new hires to receive feedback not too long after they start. Can anyone share their experience in doing this? Anyone have a three month appraisal form they can share with me?

Thanks in advance.
-J

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-08-03 AT 09:21AM (CST)[/font][p]We do 6 reviews of our new hires, one each month for 6 months. It is called a New Employee Progress Report. The Unit Manager, with HR and VP approval, can make a final recommendation after 3 months, that this employee be retained as a regular employee. I would be happy to email or fax you copy. Please advise. How's the weather out there?
  • I think your idea is good. We do 60 day evals on all new employees and promotions (90 day "probation") We use the same form as the annual review which is a bit cumbersome, but exposes the ee to the process and there are no surprises come annual review time.
  • We encourage our supervisors to conduct abbreviated 90-120 day reviews on employees. Supervisors either create a narrative or use the standard performance appraisal form that speaks to the key performance areas valued by the organization. This ties in to our 90 probationary period.
  • We do a weekly review for the 1st month - it asks the employee questions -
    1. What training have you received?, 2. Have you been able to meet scheduled hours, if not why?, 3. Do you have any questions about your job? Is job what was expected/realistic, if not how is it different? 4. Have your co-workers been helpful and friendly? 4. Do you have any questions about co.?
    The supervisor goes over this with the employee and we feel it is just another opportunity for the supervisor and new employee to interact. Then a monthly review that is similar for the next 2 months, then they get a 90 day review. The 90 day is an abbreviated form of the annual.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-09-03 AT 02:54PM (CST)[/font][p]We have a four page annual eval and use the first two pages at the 90-day introductory review. First page covers Work Ethics and Habits: use of time, accuracy, timeliness, initiative, communication, cooperation, interaction w/supv and others. Second page is job specific competencies and if they haven't been covered in the 90 days, they are just marked N/A. Every item on the two opages has room for a comment/example. The second two pages are done at the annual eval and cover specific achievements and accomplishments for the year, evaluation of the prior year's goals being met, goals for the next year, career goals and training needed, assistance needed from supervisor and feedback regarding harassment, discrimination, code of ethics. Hope this helps a little. Barbara
  • we've been doing 60 and 90 day evaluations for about 2 years. Supervisors rate the categories as below expectation, meets expectation or exceeds expectation, does a brief summay of strengths and weaknesses. If you want a copy of the form e-mail me at [email]pbrosseau@nohc.com[/email]

Since we hire everyone at about the same rate based on the job grade, we use this to reward new employees who can handle the whole job quickly. If the supervisor rates them "consistantly excellent" at 90 days they get a raise. I use this as part of my recruiting spiel.

Employees who are not cutting it at 60 days are given specific performance improvement requirements for the next 30 days and if they don't meet them we terminate.

Results - We move the best performers up the wage range more quickly and weed out the poor performers before we invest a lot of time and money.

But, be prepared to hound your operations people to get the reviews in on time!
  • And keep an eye out for favoritism, as I am sure the supervisor knows that the great rating will get the raise. I have my Operations Manager, the Supervisor's boss, always sign reviews also as a backup.
  • JEZ: We use an introductory performance evaluation form which we order from JJ Keller. It is very good and simple; we evaluate at 60 days and raise employee status to permanent employee status and award benefits, accordingly. I too believe that a trainee, which is the job title for all new hires in the labor pool, must understand exactly where they stand in their learning process. We have developed an 8 week OJT program with 8 weekly objective test administered every week before the work site gives the trainee his/her weekly pay check. it is graded and discussed on Friday morning with the employee. As the employee becomes a more knowledgable and important member of the team he/she is awarded a 10 cent per hour pay increase up to 50 cents during the 60 training period. Good Luck, Pork
  • I use a 30-60-90 day evaluation system; you must be sure to use the system for everyone where the evaluation applies (it can be used for any position). If you let the employee go after 60+ days you can show that you did the "right thing" be alerting the person that there were problems. tracking for the new employee is very helpful in spoting training needs and focusing on tasks. It will also help keep you from a "unlawful terminiation". Send me a fax number and I'll send you a copy of the form.
    Good Luck

Nick
  • We also use a 30-60-90 day evaluation which is one page. Tried to keep simple so supervisors use it. My fax is 813/623-3983. I would like a copy of yours. thanks. Donice Payne, CEBS