Requiring Uniforms, Making Employees Pay

We are giving very serious consideration to go to uniforms, for our field people as well as our sales staff etc., management included.
We will be using a service, they will be provide 11 sets do the laundring of them etc. etc. We are going to make the employees pay $5.00 a week toward the cost.
Now, a big complaint field employees have is their clothes getting torn up. This would actually save them quite a bit of money over the course of the year, while increasing our professional image. I am in Missouri. Is there any legal reason I cannot do that. I know we can require the uniforms/ control the dress code. I guess if someone does not want to pay for the service they could buy the clothes on their own, but it would cost $$$$$.
Your thoughts, and $0.02 worth would be appreciated.
DJ The Balloonman

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That's actually a very costly and generous move for the company. Here in Maryland it would be legal with advance notice, which of course it would be. With the right P.R. and approach, it could be a morale boost. Needless to say (but I will anyway) you will have those nay-sayers who will complain.
  • S moll, yes we will have some cost too. But we thing the improved professional appearance alone is worth it. I estimate 98% would be thrilled with it. It actually will save the employees quite a bit of money in the long run.
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Ballooman
  • We find that employees appreciate a uniform rental program. We don't do it for 'the professional image', but overall the program does save the employee a lot in ruined personal clothing and laundry hassles. I estimate that 70% of our employees participate. I'm not sure I won't try it myself. I've ruined more than a few shirts and pairs of pants.
  • My prior employer we had the installation staff wearing uniforms (golf shirts with emblem and kaki pants.) Employees then griped about the fit of the pants, not getting clean, wanting to wear shorts, etc. You can't make everyone happy, but did look much better. We had employees pay 1/2 of the cost of the pants and we paid full cost of the shirts (with a limit of so many per year.) I think your $5 is very generous. The only major problem you will have is if they are torn or stained. Who pays for this?
    Also, just have to make sure that employee is still paid over min. wage (which I can't believe would be a problem.) Also, what is the responsibility when someone terminates and doesn't turn them in?
    I would make sure that your deduction on paycheck clearly shows "uniform". I think they can deduct this on their taxes (which should be another plus for employee.)
    E Wart
  • as a kentucky manufacturer we also have our shop and service personnel wear uniforms. we supply the uniforms but the employee is responsible for laundering. we do not charge the employee since they have the responsibility for laundering. we also have them sign an acknowledgement/authorization giving us permission to deduct form their final pay upon termination the cost for any uniforms that are not returned prior to their last day of work.

if uniforms are extremely soiled or torn in the course of their job - we replace. we also offer short sleeves in summer and long in winter and cotton for those employees who have a problem with the polyester blends (chafing,etc) especially during the warm months.

of course, some of the employees cried and whined but since we are paying for them - we simply stated they are to be worn as a condition of continued employment - no more problems for us!

good luck!
  • Go to the FOL's website to see what they say about uniforms and deductions. Also check with your state DOL.

[url]http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs16.htm[/url]
  • DJ: We have a uniform program and the company pays the set-up cost and 50% of the weekly leasing charge. Cost to employee about $5.00 per week. Be careful of the pitch by the leasing company of the replacement of garments which become damaged. If it is laundry the cause of the damage the leasing company replaces the garments at no charge; however, if the welding mechanic gets holes in the garments from welding guess who pays? It is the employee or the company and the leasing company does not care which. If the employee decides to split the jean cuffs up one side or wear out the legs to be in style, guess who pays and as often as the leasing company can make up a new pair, so the company better have a protocal for handling and the employee agreement for damages not in the line of work. I have grease stains on one of my shirts that were my fault because I did not have my bib on when I was eating BBQ Ribs and some of the goody got on the shirt and the stain want come out regardless of how many times I "shout it out"!

To replace the shirt it will be $22.00 now or $22.00 when I die and my wife has to turn in my old company uniforms. In this case the company would most likely pay; however, if I tore the shirt while working in the yard. I would have to pay for the replacement. The leasing company has not washed or laundryed my uniforms for three years but we (the company and I) pay the same!

PORK
  • In Nevada, if the ER requires the uniform, the ER must pay all of the cost.
  • UPDATE
    Okay, just as follow up...........went and rolled this out to the first of the two companies....100% for it.....employees paying $5.25 a week for the clothes and their laundering. Started laying the ground work for second group.
    As for the issues, brought up by some, if clothing is damaged, past the point of repair, it is replaced, no charge. They said the only stains they cannot get out is oil based paint.
    Actually a very nice deal. We are going with Cintas.
    Just thought I would update everyone. If you have any questions please let me know. It is a 5 year contract.
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman
  • We have used Cintas for many years as our uniform provider and have been very satisfied. Good luck with your program B'man.