Reasonable Suspicion Want your input?

Okay here is the situation. I have a problem employee who is on his last leg with attendance. Long term employee who is wasting his life away.
I have just learned he had cut his leg 4-6 weeks ago at work, but did not want to go to the clinic because he would lose his safety bonus. I think, based on his problem coming to work on time, hanging out with known drug users etc. that he wanted to avoid the drug test. (I will deal with the supervisor who handled this very poorly no need to go there!)
This and I have some hearsay issues regarding why his ex-wife and the reason he cannot see his kids is because of some drug related issues.
His eratic attendance lying and avoiding the doctor to me is reasonable suspicion. What do you guys think?
My $0.02 worth.
DJ The Balloonman

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I worked for a cable installation company and "heard through the grapevine" that some employees were smoking wacki-tabacci at the job site. The company had a policy of conducting random drug tests...so...we picked the "suspected" employees as well a few others to take drug tests. During that process we found out a few others liked to par-take in some other substances as well.

Does your company have such a policy?

Regarding his attendance - his last warning did you state another occurance would result in termination? If so, cross your fingers that he calls in soon!

I hope your day is going well!

• I do not want to compromise my random drug testing. Truely random, have it witnessed, I do not want to compromise it. We have a no fault attendance system, and he is at 8.5 out of 10.

He will not last long.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Now that you have learned of a workplace accident you can fill out a "First Report of Injury" to be submitted to your work comp carrier. Then tell the employee to report to the clinic to have his leg "checked out." At the same time, have him drug tested.

Also, write him up for failure to report a workplace accident and strip him of his safety bonus. Depending on the details of this whole thing, you just may want to fire him for this.
  • In your rules, do you have one concerning the prompt reporting of accidents?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-11-04 AT 01:23PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Just spoke with the superintendent. He did report it to him, and was instructed to fill out the accident report, and turn it into me. He was a foreman at the time, he did not do so.
    True I should be notified, and while I am not happy about it, when a superintendent tells a foreman to do something, there should not be a worry about it not getting done. Are foremen handle a lot of responsibility. Reporting of injuries is going to be stressed again to the field management staff.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • If it's in your rules, write him for not filing the report.

Just a suggestion, but here, whenever an accident occurs, an e-mail is sent to the person in charge of safety (who can then follow up on getting the accident report, make sure insurance carrier has been notified etc.).