Introductory Period

I'm hoping to learn from you wise HR folks. Do any of you have an introductory period at your workplace? My understanding of this is that a period of time is identified (90 days) and after that time period a decision is made as to whether the ee continues employment or not.

There has been a push at my organization to implement this as we've had a few bad hires recently that led to disciplinary action and termination. I think managers want to have an easier out to let someone go if he/she is not working out. I want to get an understanding of the benefits and drawbacks of an intro period.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

- Jez

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'd believe that most employers represented on this forum have an introductory period of some length. They can range from 30 days to a couple of mine in union environments of 18 months.
    I don't know af many drawbacks, but the benefits are that both the employer and new employee are on notice that this is a trial period to see how things fit, and that some of the job protections which longer term employees have, mostly by employer policy, do not apply. Remember, all the laws still apply - can't get rid of someone for a illegal reason, even during the intro period.
  • Do a search of the forum. I started a thread awhile ago titled "orientation period survey" that got quite a few responses.
  • We have a "probationary" period of ninety days. During that period of time, an ee is evaluated each thirty days. If performance doe snot meet expectation by the end of the 90 days, we terminate. Additionally, for some policies, such as attendance and punctuality, we have stricter expectations. Miss more than two days in 90 days, you are discharged. If you are tardy more than three days, you are discharged. If you fail a reandom drug screen within 90 days, you are discharged (past we give one chance, must either be a voluntary admission, or agree to participate in EAP program).
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-05-05 AT 04:47PM (CST)[/font][br][br]My only concern with an introductory period is that it not be (mis-)construed as a probationary period, of which courts warn us over and over not to do. Even the simple act of labeling a certain period of time can be construed by some wily employment lawyer to mean you've established an employment contract for that entire period. If you terminate even with good cause after "establishing" the implied contract, a vengeful exemployee may claim wrongful termination and breach of contract.

We call our first six months of employment Intensive Evaluation periods, and benefits waiting periods. There is a big review at six months after two smaller ones, and we can usually tell if they're not working out before six months arrives, so we're not beholden to employ them through six months. The six month evaluation is more to determine if we're adequately and appropriately paying them for their skills and experience, and to orient toward and initiate paid benefits. **EDIT**: We also emphasize that throughout their length of service, the newcomer is and always will be employed at his/her will and/or at our will - "at will employment."
  • If your managers want an "Introductory Period" so they can simply snap their fingers and make someone disappear at whim, they can forget about it. No probationary period or introductory period will protect your organization from liability. I once had a director of one of our departments assert to me that she could fire a new employee for being pregnant because she was still on probation. I reminded the director that our little probation period does not trump Federal law. Your managers will still need to utilize an objective, rational process when they evaluate new people