Pre-employment drug tests

I have a couple of supervisors who'd like me to send candidates for drug screens and do background checks while they think over whether they really want to hire them or not. Just so the results will be ready and the new hire can start work right away IF they decide to hire.

We don't allow this and I know a kazillion reasons why we wouldn't want to. If only I could find a law that simply states "Thou shalt not drug test without extending a job offer," that would make it easy to show the supervisors and say "Gee, sorry, we can't do that."

Is there a SIMPLE way to get this across to the supervisors or do I need to schedule a 3 hour training class?

They are making me out to be more evil than Catbert (the red one)!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unless you are in ther transportation industryor are a federal contractor, there are no federal laws to cover drug screening for private employers. Your state, however, probably will. Good luck.
  • We are a federal contractor and do pre-employment drug testing. When we decide to hire someone we offer them the job based on their passing the pre-employment screening. We would never tell them to take a drug test without extending a job offer first. That practice could be quite costly.
  • OPEN1: If there is any drug testing going on prior to a job offer, you could be subject to discrimination based on prior knowledge of medical information. The company is never authorized to have medical information in a direct format like a drug test with results, this would obviously lead to a decision not to hire because I tested positive. Which is information you are not entitled to have, unless I give it to you. If it is positive you are certainly not going to get it from me and unless there is some relationship that allows for you to pay for the procedure. HIPAA may be the closest thing to having a law that would hinge on this issue. Medical information is private and confidential and protected by the Federal Law.

PORK
  • Open, if all else fails, just learn to enjoy and cultivate your more-evil-than-Catbert image. Don't even bother to schedule the 3-hour training. Just say no.
  • x}> I could always add this icon to my email signature.