Performance Reviews - How Often?

How often do your companies do performance reviews, esp. for new hires? Do you have different timelines for exempt vs. nonexempt? Do you do them all once a year (say every January), or based on anniversary date, or based on appointment to the job position?

Any consequences for supervisor failure to do reviews reasonably on time? x}>

I'm fighting to keep our 90 day reviews in place for those that start at $13/hr or less, but it's a losing battle.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do all reviews annually in March. The 90-day progress reviews are done by supervisors when appropriate.

Cheryl C.
  • We only do performance appraisals once a year, regardless of the type of staff or how new they are. The cycle is the school/fiscal year for most staff with anniversary date being the alternate option.

I would prefer that new hires be reviewed sooner but -- like you said -- it's a losing battle and I waved the white flag long ago. I'm lucky if I can get managers to comply with the annual requirement. We do have a policy that says a manager who falls behind on performance appraisals is not eligible for a promotion or a merit raise. That's helping somewhat.
  • Open1: We have an introductory eval (after 60 days) and mid-year (June completion) and a end year (December completion).

PORK
  • We are similar to Pork, except all reviews are done based on hire date. We have a 60 day review, then one at six months, then at one year; then every six months thereafter. The mid-year review is much simpler, it looks at training requirements and goals. It also provides us an opportunity to adjust compensation (always up for us) if an employee's performance warrants it.

We do not have consequences for not getting them done at this job, other than my wrath (and that apparently isn't quite enough). At my last job, the policy manual said that if they weren't done, supervisors would get a warning and a certain amount of time - maybe a week. If they were not done at the end of that week, they were given a one week unpaid suspension. Then they had like two days when they got back, and if still not done, another unpaid suspension. The last HR people - and management - were not willing to enforce it, but I was. We gave the problem supervisor a few months to clean up his act, and of course he pushed the envelope. He had a few reviews that were filled out but had not gone over them with the employees yet. When I said done, I meant DONE, but his supervisor caved and nothing I said made any difference to the executive director. After that, he was on time, or pretty darned close.

It certainly can be frustrating at times.
  • We have 90-day and 6-month, then annual thereafter. Currently, they are done on anniversary date except upper managers and executives - all done at end of year by CEO. No repercussions if not done on time. I am currently researching performance review process - they are wanting a little different form to include more "SMART" goals. The CIO has suggested perhaps doing all reviews during one time of the year, but I haven't looked at that yet; i just feel it would be too burdensome on our team managers to do all of them during one month - they have too much to do otherwise. If anyone has a performance review form for 90-day, 6-month or annual and is willing to share it, I would love to have it. Thanks.
  • All new employees, regardless of rank, receive a review at the end of their 90 day introductory period. Reviews are done annually thereafter (Oct 1st for non-management, and Jan 1st for managers.)

Good luck!

Nae
  • We do an annual performance review for all salaried (exempt & non) in January then a Mid-Year review in June.

Hourly reviews are done near the end of the probationary period. (Union mfg. plant)
  • We base our reviews/appraisals on date of hire. New hires are intensively reviewed for six months, receiving formal written feedback every two months. Then all employees receive annual evaluations/performance appraisals which are to be completed in the month before their anniversary date, which is the first of the month following date of hire. We had tied raises to annual appraisals, but we're moving to a Cost of Living Adjustment system, wherein everyone gets an adjustment at the first of the year, based on what the budget can handle. If employees' performance merits an additional increase, they receive that on their anniversary date, whenever in the year that falls. No difference between exempt and non-exempt employees. CEO tracks when appraisals are completed, and discusses any late ones with the appropriate supervisor upon the supervisor's annual appraisal, and excessive lateness may affect the supervisor's pay increase, depending on degree of transgression.
  • Thanks everyone for sharing. It's so nice to have a place like this.

I really like the "policy that says a manager who falls behind on performance appraisals is not eligible for a promotion or a merit raise." x:7