Lost cause

I'm an HRM at a small Japanese plant and feel like the ship is sinking. I constantly hear from employees about the lack of communication and leadership as well as the penny pinching, low wages, and lack of appreciation.
Our VP and GPM spend every day working 12-14 hours, but most of their time is spent running machines, fixing machines, or inspecting parts. They refuse to have meetings to discuss the direction of the company. I've tried looking for other employment opportunties, but when I get the "sorry, not interested" reply, the feedback I get is often due to speaking too negatively about my current employer. If I had great things to say, I probably wouldn't want to leave. Help me Please!!!!

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yesterday my assistant and I had a similar discussion about our office. Moral is low here too. Sadly, management does not recognize employees for their hard work.

My assistant and I decided not to wait for management to change. We decided to go around to the various divisions/sections and talk to the employees ourselves - kind of a verbal pat on the back from HR and a chance to learn more about what the employees are doing for the office. We want the employees to know we do care and are there if they need help. Even our supervisors need to know they are doing a good job and welcome our visits.

So far, our "field trips" have been well received! I also plan to resume the Happy Birthday e-mails sent from HR to our employees - anything I can do to make a connection with the employees has got to help the office as a whole, right? Anyway, I sympathize with you and wish you the best of luck - try to change your world and the rest will follow! x:-)
  • Thanks for a reply, I was starting to develop a complex since there were several viewers and no replies. I've been with this company for four years and had three years in an HR admin. role with a fortune 500 prior. I'm constantly being told that this is not a big company, we don't run the business like that... I took the position so I could be an HRM and make an impact with a growing company. I thought it would be a good fit, but we're not growing. What prompted me to write to the forum today was because I had just engaged in a conversation with a supervisor on the production floor regarding his concerns about the direction of the company. He continued to inspect parts as we spoke until the VP prompted the QA Mgr. to break up our conversation! He doesn't speak english, so he doesn't know what we were discussing... all he observed from across the plant was me talking with the supervisor. I can't even do my job! I've spent more time in the last six months doing general laborer work than HR related activities. It's difficult to tell a perspective employer that I've been able to accomplish much of anything!
  • Yikes, sounds like you have a challenging situation. You are making a difference, just by talking to the supervisors and making your presence known to the staff. I think we have all had days where someone stands in our way of letting us get the job done. On the plus side - you have learned a new skill (general laborer work)!

Nothing wrong with looking for a new job since it has been four years. But remember, the grass is not always greener. In the meantime, until your dream job comes available, you can always brush up on your HR skills by reading available HR internet material and networking with folks in the industries you are interested in... At least now you know what you want and what you don't want in a job!

Best of luck with your situation and take comfort that most of us has been where you are now...have a great weekend! x0:)
  • It's a difficult Catch-22, as you said -- if you were happy, why would you want to leave?

However, the interviewers are right to be a little cautious of someone who lets too much negativity toward the current job slip in an interview. For one thing, it suggests the possibility that you might bring some hostility and baggage from the previous job into the new job environment. Also, think of it as having a gossipy friend -- if your friend says rude things about everyone else, what might he/she say about you?

If you've worked for a place like this for a short time, sometimes you can just say that the job isn't a good fit and interviewers will understand what that means and move on with little fanfare. But if you've worked there for some time, a little more explanation is probably going to be needed.

My advice is to find a positive way to spin the difficulties at your current job to help you shine to new employers. Don't focus so much on your opinions about what your employer does but, instead, point out what *YOUR* qualities are and that you feel that they would be stronger in a different type of company/different industry/different position/whatever is applicable. Research the company you're applying for and note the key differences that you think would result in a more positive job fit there and use those differences to your advantage.

Also, a simple trick is to start sentences with "I" rather than "My employer." It helps avoid sounding like you're casting blame when you say "I would feel more comfortable in a company that emphasizes communication" rather than saying "My employer never listens to me and never holds meetings."

By all means, be very careful about disparaging a former or current employer in interviews. Honestly, in my experience I've found it better to suggest that there is a nuance of my personality, preference, or ability that doesn't fit the current employer rather than suggesting the employer has done something wrong and hasn't accommodated me. This does put you in a defensive position, since you're suggesting that you are the cause of the poor fit, but it's easy to then point out a reason those same nuances and abilities would benefit the potential employer and, thus, would result in a benefit for everyone involved.

Holly Jones
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • I've met with a career counselor that is helping me to speak more positively in interviews. Unfortunately, I haven't had any since the counseling. I get really messed up in interviews when I start thinking in terms of; "I know, that he knows, that I know what he knows I'm thinking when I'm saying..." So I choke and just say the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me I need a new job!
  • Brother Bluto, I am sorry to hear about your situation. You sound pretty discouraged which is understandable.

I think you do need to get out of there. You seem very bright and you deserve an organization that will let you practice HR without restraints and limitations.

Talking negatively about your current or former employer can be a turn off. I would limit any statements to vague comments about "a challenging but often difficult environment" while stressing you worked there for FOUR years.

Good luck!
  • Thanks Paul in Cannon beach. Would it be too tacky to ask if you know of anyone needing an HRM? One of the other posts said to network...

Is this right?

I'll do my best to be positive!
  • BB - it's obvious even to you, that you have a mind set problem. In my expert diagnosis (I have seen several episodes of Dr. Phil, so I am qualified) you are running from something instead of to something.

Your whole perspective is so balled up with your current situation and all of that negativity, that you are not focusing on the positive reasons you are wanting to get into a new situation.

Why not consider spending some quiet time with yourself envisioning what your new job will have. Opportunity for growth, supportive management, continueing education, training opportunities, an experienced mentor, pay in line with your responsibilities, etc. etc.

This way, you can come into the next interview with bright eyes and a vision of the future. No need to bad mouth your current employer, instead express appreciation for the opportunity to learn what you have learned and to realize that there is more that you want to do. This "more" is not available at your current company. Keep it simple while being able to verbalize the solid HR foundation that you have from your current experience and all the HR and Education that you list on your resume.

Imagine yourself beyond this current job. A few months after you have left it, it will all be a memory that you can incorporate into who you are.

Good luck, you can do this.
  • Hitting a large bucket of balls at your local driving range works too...

Like Marc said, the important thing is to not let the negative environment you find yourself in change who you are.
  • Brother B. --

You've been given lots of great advice here! I thought I would have something to offer when I first read your post, but all of the other responders have already said all I would say and more. So I just wanted to throw in a word of encouragement. I wish you a lot of luck, and I hope you'll keep us posted on your situation.

• Ditto other forumites.

"It was not a good fit so consequently it was challenging for me. After FOUR years, I am ready for something else." (NOT ANOTHER WORD ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYER!)

Then stress what you want to do at your new employer. Focus on that, and it will help you get through and come out looking positive.

Best of luck to you!

Nae
  • Candidate who run down their current employer are a red flag at interviews. Try this. Tell a prospective employer that you have had difficulty in adjusting to the "culture" of this workplace. We all know that the Japanese bring their own culture and ideas to any workplace. What you are really saying here is that you are more comfortable in an American culture than a Japanese culture. As a matter of fact, this may be more true than you realize. We have also seen the culture wars in this forum with Chinese owned companies.
  • I want to clarify that the comment about being "negative" was from one recruiter that he reported was made by the company. I've not been told that by any other recruiter or company for that matter. I remember during the interview explaining how things were different. I explained that I was not wanting to sound negative, but rather matter-of-fact regarding the cultural environment. When I am asked what types of situations that I've been confronted with and how I handled it makes for a very twisted and long winded response. Interview answers are supposed to be short and consice for the most part. It is difficult to be short and consice when you have to describe the cultural environment while explaining how you handled a situation. I don't want to come off in an interview sounding like I wasn't able to adapt or explain why it's not a good fit. I accepted this position for the growth opportunity and added challenge of dealing with the cultural differences. I'm simply ready to advance into a position that will give me greater exposure to an environment that relies on it's HR department to be innovative and play a strategic role in the development of it's employees and business.
  • Negative is different things to different people. When you are in a tough situation, you may well come off more negative than you know. Think of a person going through a divorce. Their world is crashing and that is all they want to talk about. Friends may well avoid them. A tough workplace can be really hard on an employee. An interview is not a chance to vent. Make a determined effort to keep your answers short. Their vision of the role and function of human resources is different than yours. You need to seek an employer where you can thrive and excell. Try to direct your interviews in that direction.

Good luck.
  • Brother Bluto, I was in a similar situation about four years ago and here's what worked for me:

The questions of why you are looking for another job and why you are leaving that company in particular are invariably going to come up. Also being an advocate of not bashing your current or former employer, I knew I had better answer the questions professionally and without malice, yet truthfully. I decided that the truth would be my ally.

For example, instead of saying that the company leadership has run the organization into the ground, which comes across as an opinion; I said ,"In the past month I went out on the floor on two different ocassions and, one by one, told 50 employees that their paychecks would be bouncing." That was a stated fact (the truth).

Then comes the question, "How do you suppose the company got to that point?" Instead of saying that the owner was crazy and the CEO was a drunk, I said " Despite the efforts of the management group to manage costs to the penny, the owner bought a $30,000 piece of equipment which we don't use and the CEO came to me and apologetically said, 'Pay it'. After my experience with the employees paychecks, this incident led me to believe that the best interests of the company and its employees are not being served by the top leadership."

The interviewer will probe the situation so be prepared to use it to your advantage. Think of a lawyer presenting the facts of the case and let the interviewers form their own opinion. For me, it worked. I could tell I was "winning" the interview when one of the interviewers (my present boss) asked me, "My God, how could you have stayed there that long?" I then "set my hook" and said, "I had such a good working relationship with the other managers and we all thought that we could really, somehow make it work. Recent events, as I've told you, have led me to believe otherwise."

I got my offer and here I am.
  • Thanks, you gave me some good examples, which is what I needed. I'm in the process of preparing responses to typical questions and have a career councelor lined up to review the responses with me to give me some feedback. Good analogy with the divorce, it's like any relationship really.