HR Staff Ratio - Need Support!

We have grown from 85 employees to 250 in the past 2.5 years. I have one assistant.

I keep explaining that with the RATE of growth I need more help, but it's falling on deaf ears. I have one assistant who does most of the payroll and benefits, and I do everything else rolling out one new program after the next (new payroll systems, background checks, expanding EOM and help with other recognition programs, training/Orientation issues, new benefits, 401(k)plan changes, employee relations challenges, etc.).

If you have any books, websites, and/or references that might help me to be more pursuasive in my pursuit of an HR clerk I'd sure be grateful!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I also belong to the SHRM and there is a blurp on their website that states this:

"The number of Human Resources personnel to total employees depends mainly on the individual company's structure, actual size, and reliance on in-house staff vs. utilization of outside HR consultants, or outsourcing firms.

In an annual survey conducted by the Bureau of National Affairs with SHRM, employers are reported to have an average of 1.0 full-time HR professionals for every 100 employees in the workforce."

A complete copy of the "HR Department Benchmarks & Analysis" is available by contacting the Bureau of National Affairs at (800) 452-7773 or via their internet website at [url]www.bna.com[/url].

So, you should be justified in hiring at least a part-time employee, if not a full-time one.

We have 175 employees and we handle all functions of HR, including payroll. I have one full-time assistant, but our front-desk administrator reports to me under the HR umbrella, so I also have assigned her some HR functions that can be handled without confidentiality issues. Our office is located across from the front desk, so she also does our filing. This helps, but there is still never enough time. Hope this helps you.

• We have 111 full time employees plus interns and volunteers in 6 different locations throughout southeastern NJ. I have an HR assistant, which i am ever so thankful for. We do not handle payroll (thank goodness), and still don't have enough hours in the day. I travel to all six offices for interviews, new hire orientation, 401(k) and other seminars. I would not know where to turn if I had more employees!
  • We did an HR Hero Survey a couple of years ago that asked this question. Here are the responses from employers with 201 to 500 employees:

What’s your HR staff-to-employee ratio? (Example: 1:100 = one HR person to 100 employees)

11% Higher than 1:75 (example: 1:30)
    15% Between 1:75 and 1:99
    19% 1:100 (national average)
    16% Between 1:101 and 1:125
    12% Between 1:126 and 1:150
    23% Lower than 1:150 (example: 1:200)

You can find the complete survey results in the subscribers' area (look for the little yellow box in the third column).
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/lc/[/url]

Good luck!

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Thanks very much! I didn't notice anything that mentioned HR staffing in a rapidly growing company. x:-( Some days it feels like I have to quit before they'll realize how much I do. Sob sob sniff.

OK. End of pity party. x:-8
  • Please hold my hand and walk me to this survey. Where is it in the third column? I see an 03 survey is that it?
    thanks, I too need some specifics for the HR department here.
  • Never mind I found it. I am the HR manager, payroll processor (not outsourced)for over 130 employees with a turnover rate of 75%. Help!