Intermittent - Call in?

I have several employees on "intermittent" FMLA which basically means they work when they want. However, one of these seems to think he needn't call in if he's out -- I think I can legitimately hold him to the same standards as other sick or absent employees and charge him under our point system. Anybody see a problem with this?

Thanks.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you require all EEs to call in when they are going to be absent then yes you may require an EE that is on FML to call in.
  • I agree with POPEYE, if you hold all ees to this standard, you can require this from ees on FMLA.

I would suggest in your attendance policy that you define a time limit for ees to call in before the start of their shift, if it is not already there. Whether it be at least one hour before, whether the co has a number where ees can call and leave a message that they will not be in by a certain time, define something that works well for your business.

I would also identify who the ees can call (supervisor, HR, team leader, etc.) if this is not included in yoour policy. Having these included and communicated to ees can reduce the excuses of "I did not know I had to call by X time." or "I called and spoke to the custodian on the night shift and said I was not coming in."
  • Thanks - this is a union environment and both the call-in time and designated line are quite well-defined. Of course, this doesn't stop the excuses but I get to laugh at them.
  • I agree with both posts and would like to add a couple of comments (we are union as well)...

1) Employees are informed, in the letter they receive approving their FMLA leave that they are required to contact the company in accorance with our attendance policy and that failure to do so will result in "no call in" points in accordance with our attendance policy.

2) I have had to terminate employees for failing to call in on FMLA leave and it has NEVER been grieved by the union.
  • All responses that I agree wholeheartedly with.

The only exception I can invision is a certification that might indicate 'the employee may require periods of absence during which he is totally incapable, due to his medical condition, of thinking clearly or performing such mundane tasks as calling his employer to report his intended absence'. Don't assume it cannot happen. I've seen some stranger ones.

Otherwise, Charlie, you got the same requirements as everybody else.