Explosive Issue

We have a new employee who had a gastric bypass about a year ago. The employee frequently passes odoriferous gas in the workplace.

Just over a week ago the department manager had a very private, concerned and sensitive conversation with her. And the employee came to me with a letter she wrote documenting her condition and we had a similar conversation. She said she would ask her doctor if she could increase the medication she was taking, and things were better for about a week.

The employee said the problem was much better when she was sitting down, so the supervisor transferred her to an similar job position, same pay, etc. that does not require much walking around. Also, she was provided with a corner cubicle right next to an exit door. The employee still hangs out by the copier, where she lets one loose and does not leave but hangs around and has a few more...and the employee complaints are piling up.

We had another conversation today because the direct supervisor tried to talk privately with her about it and the employee blew up, claimed the supervisor was yelling at her and there's nothing she can do about it, it's OUR problem to solve not hers and if we fire her she's getting an attorney and...all we were trying to do is find a workable solution for everyone. Argh.

Employee said she was better for a week because she stopped eating fruits and vegetables, but now she has to eat them again. Then she said the problem is triggered by eating high fat foods. A little while later she cried that all she ate for dinner last night was half a cheeseburger. I'd like to send her to a nutritionist!

Any other recommendations?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This must be very embarassing for the employee. Could you encourage the complainers to be a little more sensitive to this employee's health issue?

In my family, we rip em all the time. No one has ever been hurt, emotionally scarred, or physically impaired yet.

Discretely position some air fresheners around the areas where the ee tends to be and thank the Good Lord that this is the biggest problem in your workplace at the moment.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-24-06 AT 00:24AM (CST)[/font][br][br] >
    >Discretely position some air fresheners around
    >the areas where the ee tends to be.

Based on personal experience with multiple houseguests having to share a bathroom, let me recommend a little miracle product called Citrus Magic. No kidding.

Another thought: Is there any possibility that she can be placed in a private office?

Ultimately, if this just cannot work -- and if this is your question -- I don't think she would be considered disabled under the ADA because she's not disabled from a broad category of jobs. Her claim that it's your problem to solve and not hers is not sitting well with me. I've had experience with people who've had gastric bypass and this has not been a problem with them. I would tell her she needs to work harder to resolve it medically, dietetically, or whatever.

Also, Open1, when you said in your 4th paragraph that the employee "blew up", I had to check my calendar to see if it was already April Fools Day.

• Do you drink wine? If so after your next bottle give her the cork......... tell her she said you had to find a solution, tell her you did, let her figure it out.

My $0.02 worth,
    The Balloonman
  • Another alternative would be to purchase some air purifiers. It not only helps with body odors but also cleans the air. We had a temporary employee who was getting complaints of body odor so we bought a germicidal air purifier from Sharper Image. It was rather expensive but it solved the problem with the others in this office that they shared with this employee. Also we got a regular one for another employee who is alergic to about everything and was having problems with others perfume or cologne usage. We got this for her office and another for the main walking area. We haven't had any issues since purchasing these items. As I said it was an investment but it showed the employees that we wanted to work with them and make their working environment better so that they could be more productive.
  • Welcome to the Forum, Riva!

There's a product on the market that's a fart absorber for your chair, kinda like a big Odor Eater that you sit on. x:-8 Don't know what's it's called, but it could help.

But really it's up to her, and you don't want to get into her medical conditions very much. She needs to talk to her doctor about her problem if she hasn't already. I once had problems with gas and indigestion and it turned out to be a nine-pound tumor. x:o

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Thank you, everyone! I've passed some of these ideas onto the supervisor. If anyone is interested in additional readying, I also found:
    [url]http://www.jan.wvu.edu/media/employmenthygienefact.doc[/url]

A private office and working from home are not options. I do hope the employee will work together with us to resolve the issue to a satisfactory degree before we have one of our hard-to-find licensed co-workers quit over it (new employee is not licensed) OR our President is conducting an office tour for a prospective client and they complain. x:-(
  • Its always good to meet together and clear the air.
  • Keep her away from open flames in the meantime.
  • Good point, Larry. One wouldn't want to add insult to injury with an OSHA violation.