unions & health insurance

I have a question for those of you who deal with unions. The collective bargaining agreement we have with the local musicians'union provides that our health insurance plan shall be a "mutually agreeable" plan. This has meant that in the past whenever we've shopped other plans we've had to present the information to the committee that represents the musicians, and they in turn have presented the information to the musicians as a whole to get their input. As you can imagine, this slows down the process. This year, with escalating health insurance costs, we've spent four weeks looking at other plans and are down to the wire on the renewal date.
For those of you who deal with unions--how is this addressed in your situations? Is there anything in your collective bargaining agreement that gives the union members any say so over what health plan is used?
Thanks for any feedback I get!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't see any relief for you during this contract period. The "mutually agreeable" language probably obligates you to preview hlth plans with the bargaining unit b/4 accepting it. I'd certainly try to negotiate that language out of the next contract and simply state that a health plan will be avail to the union. Health insur is a mandatory subject of bargaining, so it'll get addressed during negotiations and you wouldn't be bogged down by previewing every plan with the union.

Depending on the strength of your management rights clause, you may just have to commit to a carrier and do the mea culpa with the union later. While I don't see much of a remedy for the union to pursue, you'll likely irritate them for acting unilaterally. Locking in a carrier is probably more important than walking the tightrope of the contract language right now.
  • We are also union shop. We have joint mgmnt/union insurance committee. When we get bids through our broker we present to committee. Committee then decides what is presented to membership. Sometimes this is several choices sometimes not. It really depends on the bids we receive. Company currently foots 100% of cost for employees and family so we try to hold tight on cost factors. We are already negotiating for next year - new contract in February and health insurance in April.