Changes in CA's FMLA

I understand that the state of CA has changed some of the specifics of this act. Where can I find specific info on this, such as effective date (I was told 2003 and then heard it was really 2004) and other basic pieces of info?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • TD,
    Here are a couple of places to look:

(1) Go to the left of this screen and scroll down to the "search" option. Type in "California FMLA" and hit enter. Then click on the first item -- a recent discussion stream on this very subject. In it, you'll find a lot of details and advice, including an "e-mail alert" that California Employment Law Letter Editor Joe Beachboard sent to newsletter subscribers back a few months ago.

(2) A more in-depth article is available if you subscribe to any of our state employment law letters (including California, of course). First, go to the Home page for this website. Look to the upper righthand corner of that page -- under "Login" -- and click on "Employment Law Letter Subscribers." (If you can't remember your password, call Customer Service at 1-800-274-6774.)

Under the heading "HR Answer Engine," click on "Search for articles, statutes, and regs." Narrow your search by typing in "Family and Medical Leave Act."

To narrow your search further, under "Year," click on "2002." Under "State," click on "California." Then hit "Display results." (Those of you in other states: To see what your state newsletter has written about FMLA, just click on your state name.)

TD, the second article in the list is the in-depth article that Joe Beachboard wrote for the October 26, 2002, issue of California Employment Law Letter. The title is, "Paid family leave -- the devil is in the details." It should answer most if not all of your questions. Hope this helps.

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068

• TD

You can also go to [url]www.ca.gov.com[/url]
    Click on Governor Gray Davis Homepage (on right)
    Scroll down to "What's New In California"
    Click on "First-in-the-nation" legislation signed by Gov. Davis.
    Scroll down to "Governor Davis Signs Historic Family Leave Bill

and THERE IT IS!

Helena