Other policies

Can anyone and everyone give me some creative ideas on providing benefits? Is there another way of offering insurance to ee's that might not run along conventional lines? For instance we have X for benefits but if you subscribe to Y we will pay $$ to the ee for being under the separate coverage?
Is anyone doing this? What are the legal parameters?
We just received our underwriting costs for premiums for a new provider. They are higher than our current policy and the Controller here is wondering about some creative alternatives along with what is offered.
Thanks to all.
Elizabeth

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I like the idea of encouraging wellness with insurance premium subsidy. If folks meet certain criteria - such as being a non-smoker, the company will make a larger contribution toward the EEs portion of the premium.

You can carry that through with cholesteral, height/weight ratios, etc. My son worked for a hospital that gave an extra $5 per item into a paycheck. He happened to hit all the good things they were promoting and made an extra $600 for doing so.

The company's theory was that improved wellness had a good impact on claims history and would, therefore, reduce overall health insurance costs.
  • I just read an article today on this (article actually printed last month). HIPAA non-discrimination provisions are effective as of 2/12/07 for plan years after 7/1/07.

Apparently you can't have wellness programs where a reward is based on individuals satisfying a standard related to a health factor. You can reward for participation, but not for outcome.

This is the first I have read of this, so I might not fully understand how it works. However, it sounds like employers need to be very careful about the kinds of incentives they offer.

Good luck!

Nae
  • Thanks. Who out there does not use a broker to select a provider? I have used a broker for years and now am wondering how you would go about finding benefits outside the norm.
    Would really appreciate some info.
    Thanks Everyone-this forum is so awesome.