Study Time

I know that we pay people to attend educational seminars if it is required attendance. Do we also have to pay them "study time"? How much do we trust them to put down the actual number of hours they study? There is no way to verify this. The employee in question is looking at it the same way as if they are working at home. Am I crazy or is this ridiculous?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Employers are not required to compensate non-exempt employees for time spent completing courses at home providing that participation in the course is voluntary and not required for continued employment in the employee's current position.
  • Ask the instructor approximately how much time was needed to complete the work. Pay the employee that amount. The next time make sure the instructor understands "no homework" or that attendees are informed in advance that only XX hours will be paid for home study.
  • I vote for not paying it at all. x:-o Most courses will involve homework. It's my understanding that the law does not require payment of wages for time spent in preparation for a test or in study while in a course. If the employer requires the employee to maintain a certification or a continuing ed certificate, the law doesn't require for payment while preparing for either. Neither does the law require the employer to allow the employee to spend regular work time doing the studying or prep work. I think if it did, we'd also have to pay policemen while they spend time at the gym getting in shape for the required annual physical exam gauntlet, losing the Krispy Kreme pounds.