Fox News - fair and balanced?

On the news last night, I heard that Fox News lost it's legal battle with Al Franken regarding the title of his latest book - which included Fox's trademarked (questionable according to the judge) tag line 'fair and balanced'. So, the question to the forumites - is Fox News fair and balanced?

Comments

• 35 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As fair and balanced as any other news organization. I don't think I have ever watched a newscast, read a newspaper or a web news site that didn't display some bias. Unfortunately, and maybe this is just me being cynical, news organizations no longer report the news. They slant the news, which in turn influences policy, which has the ultimate effect of shaping history.

Give me Walter Cronkite or Edward R. Murrow any day.
  • The premise of your question is incorrect. Fox did not lose a legal battle. Fox dropped it's suit against Franken, the ex-prime-time-comedian who covets Bill O'reily's and Limbaugh's fast track fame. For about 7 or 8 months I could not pass up the O'reily Factor or the guy from MS, Sheppard Smith, who precedes that show or Hannidy and Colmes (sp). Now I won't watch O'reily because he screams so much and he won't listen to opposing opinions. I will not watch Peter Jennings or Dan Rather because of their totally leftist, liberal positions on the news and their tendency to make rather than report news. I won't watch Greta Van Sustern, Foxwitch, because of her TV start defending OJ. I can't watch CNN because of what I know about the network and how it 'creates the news'. Imus in the morning makes me puke although some of his compatriots are fairly fair. Heraldo, still surviving on Fox and God only knows why, gets me to grab the remote faster than a show about pedophiles. I suppose, to choose, I would flip to Fox to actually get the hourly, nightly news but won't watch the screamers any more. I will also tune in to a Buddhist or a Jew to get his slant on religion rather than base the totality of my information on the irrational Falwell and the like. I'm a died in the wool conservative who typically votes Republican, as if anyone wondered. Fair and Balanced? I don't know that any of them can truthfully lay claim to that. We shouldn't believe any of the claims out of hand.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-26-03 AT 08:27PM (CST)[/font][p]Don - I don't want to offend, but it really did go before the court:

"It's open season on the words fair, and balanced.

A federal judge in New York ruled Friday that Saturday Night Live alum Al Franken does, too, have the right to use fair, and balanced, in that order, in the title of his new book.

In siding with Franken, the judge rejected an argument by Fox News that the comic was infringing on its trademarked slogan, the aforementioned "fair and balanced."

"In addition to thanking my own lawyers," Franken said after the ruling, "I'd like to thank Fox's lawyers for filing one of the stupidest briefs I've ever seen in my life." " [url]http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,12371,00.html[/url]

• As one who really admires Al Franken's deadpan delivery and sense of humor, I'd sure like to see Fox's brief supporting their case. If Franken says it's stupid, it's probably a riot.
  • When you consider how intertwined corporate America and the TV networks are these days, the bias should be assumed. Is MSNBC really going to do a piece that is critical of Microsoft or General Electric? I have even wondered if Roger Ebert is able to fairly criticize movies produced by Disney, the parent company of ABC. "I thought 'The Lion King VIII' was a feel good movie the whole family can enjoy!"

Fox has its conflict of interests too. Rupert Murdoch is on the Board of Directors of Phillip Morris. No spin zone?

For a list of who owns who, go to: [url]http://www.indybay.org/news/2003/04/1598915.php?theme=2[/url]

By the way, I have no idea of the information on the website is 100 percent true.

Having said that, I like Fox News because they are generally more conservative. If you noticed, Lorie Duhe, one of the Fox anchors was listed on my "Once in a Lifetime" list. Since I didn't notice Larry King on anyone's list, that must mean Fox is a better network.

Paul in Cannon Beach
  • I agree Paul. And Lorrie Due obviously owns 75% of the Botox market! I'm still waiting for some giant expose' on Ted Turner's ties to interests in foreign countries, with his reverse-USA slant on several recent US conflicts/wars. How many billions was it reported that he 'gave' the UN two years ago? At least Peter doesn't even attempt to hide his French-Canadian ancestral slant on US conflicts. And, on Fox, is there any surprise that the Jewish reporter, Jerry Rivers, AKA Heraldo Rivera, is going to have a decidely pro-Israeli slant? Who can we trust these days? Next we will hear that Margaret Morford and James Sokolowski are in reality Dolly Parton and Junior Samples and that Christy is breaking rocks on a chain gang for speaking her mind.
  • Thanks for the great laugh this afternoon, I needed it.
  • I doubt that Fox is any more fair and balanced than any other news organization, but I like watching them more than other programs, because of the pace and delivery of the stories. I admit that I really like Bill O'Reilly. He takes no bull and is so blunt. I oppose political correctness when it borders on untruth and pacification, so I like his bull-in-the-china-shop ways. Despite his obvious intelligence, I have long suspected that my fiance is a Fox news fan because of Lori Due. She's pretty, sure, but she is in dire need of some food.
  • Don D, what do you mean by "Leftist"? Just wondering. Maybe it can be my "new word of the day"!
  • I'm no Don D, but I would translate "leftist" to mean a person of the liberal or Democratic persuation, i.e. - of the "left".
  • I am finding that I prefer to get my news of world events from the BBC or other foreign news service. Since the start of the Iraq war, the coverage here became so "USA Rules!" oriented, that I liked getting a different perspective, and I have become hooked. Sometimes seeing yourself though the eyes of others is a good wake up call.

However, you always have to remember that whatever news you are getting is coming through the filters (cultural, political, religious, what-have-you) of whomever is broadcasting that news. Take everything with a grain of salt. I don't think any news channel is "fair and balanced."

• I agree with Human Resource Manager. I prefer the outside view on things like the BBC. As far as fair and balanced for Fox, they are no different than any other news source. I watched Bill O'Reilly the other day and his only guest was someone who supported his views and the two of them spent 30 minutes giving each other praise. Sounds fair and balanced to me. I heard on NPR, a very liberal news source that Fox tried to say that fair and balanced was not a play on words. They said the judge started laughing out loud at their argument. I also take their reporting with a grain of salt.
  • Maybe not perfect, but Fox is certainly better than the Clinton News Network.......
  • Is that the same one my husband refers to as the "Commie News Network"?
  • Clinton News...Commie News - I'm guessing we're referring to the same thing.
  • To tell you the truth, I watch very little of these type channels. I take in the NBC national news, then watch their local affiliate. I listen to talk radio quite a bit - the channel with the bent a bit more like mine, so that means the one without Rush.

My degree is in journalism and try as you might, it's hard to write or speak and not let a little of your thought process leak through. So, I always keep that in mind and go with the flow.
  • Basically, my new sources are BBC, NPR and the NY Times. I haven't even glanced at Fox since the day Geraldo Rivera drew a map in the sand and Fox didn't fire him. The debates(a term I use loosely) are impossible to follow because the rule of thumb from the so-called experts is "I can scream louder and interrupt more frequently than you can." I'M not even going to delve into farcical facial expressions. And, I miss William Buckley's debates on PBS.
  • "Fair and balanced," like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't see Fox as balanced. My preference for broadcast news is NPR. It amuses me when they read their letters from listeners on the air - they get blasted from both the left and the right for being too far the other way, which suggests to me that they're generally hitting it right down the middle. No source of information is free from bias, but at least NPR is less susceptible to corporate control. I also believe their reporting is more intelligent and much less likely to pander to the lowest common denominators of sensationalism, jingoism, and the like. The only time I wish my work commute were longer is when I can't hear a whole "All Things Considered" piece in my five-minute drive home.

I also appreciated the BBC coverage of the war in Irag, and accessed it through NPR.
  • I remember as a child sitting in the back seat groaning about my mom putting NPR on. Ugh, how boring, I want to listen to Phil Collins!

Well, now I listen to NPR every day on my way to and from work. I love it because I get my news without sitting in front of the TV!

In our cafeteria, we have a big screen TV which shows FOX (headline news?) and I can not tell you how much the sensationalism drives me nuts. For one whole week, they only talked about the Lacey Peterson trial, even though there were no real developments in the case. And they over-enunciate and shout way to much for my taste.

But that's why they make so many flavors of ice cream- something for everyone!

Nrdgrrl

• Its funny that we are so afraid to be "pro America" these days. Have you ever seen a newsreel from WWI or WWII?

When did we stop being proud of the great country we have? I am not saying that the news should be manipulated or used for propaganda but since when did a BBC flavored news report become more valid than an American one?

I have no problem with a news anchor expressing pro-American sentiments on air. None, whatsoever.

Paul in Cannon Beach
  • Amen, Paul!

I'm proud to be an American & see no problem with expressing it openly & often!!!
  • Nothing at all wrong with pro-American sentiments, where the problem lies (lay? laid? lie? lud?) is when a story is slanted in such a way that it influences the reader in a certain way. News reporting is supposed to be reporting, not reporting-with-editorializing. Give the reader/viewer the facts and let him/her make up his/her own mind about what the story means. If I see a story on television about two soldiers killed in Iraq, I may form one opinion. If I see a story about the same two soldiers killed in Iraq followed by interviews with their families who are crying and talking about how senseless our presence in Iraq is, I'm going to perhaps form a different opinion. IT IS NOT THE BUSINESS OF ANY NEWS ORGANIZATION TO TRY TO INFLUENCE PUBLIC OPINION ONE WAY OR THE OTHER!
  • Right Beagle. I think it's O'reily who says, "We report, you decide". No slants or spin at Fox. Ummmm Hummmmm. Friends, the only place you'll get a no-spin zone nowadays on television is tuning in to the old Andy Griffin show and life in Mayberry. Now, that was no-spin!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-27-03 AT 05:12PM (CST)[/font][p]Parabeagle,

I don't think we are in disagreement. However, EVERY news organization makes editorial decisions and uses language that is influenced by their agendas and their political leanings.

For example, some organizations use the term "pro-choice" and some say "pro-abortion". When President Bush visited Portland recently, some news agencies focused on the handful of protesters that followed him. Others, focused more on the purpose of the visit and what the President did and said.

Have you ever noticed that some news agencies and papers use photos of the President that are fairly "presidential" and others use that one shot where his eyes are squinty and his tongue is hanging out of his mouth. Was that the only shot they had available? No way. It was a choice they made.

I assume bias and agenda in news reporting from ALL agencies. I just know that I am right in all things so I watch news agencies that agree with me.

Paul in Cannon Beach
  • No argument there from me, Paul. I know you're right in all things. x;-)

But I agree. I would see one local station here focusing on the protesters and the inherent traffic snarls, and another just showing the speech without the problems (a problem I ended up getting stuck in on the way home, I should add). But it wasn't just the local yokels, the nationals picked it up too. Is it any wonder the White House staff refers to Portland as "Little Beirut"?

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now. Bottom line: Report the news, leave me to decide what it means (are you listening, Dan Rather?) x:-)
  • Parabeagle,

Fair enough... I call truce. Let's grab some starbucks and debate whether Portland needs a major league baseball team.

Paul in Cannon Beach

• Works for me, Paul. My treat. As far as baseball is concerned, I would only want a major league team if all the players have successfully completed their sentences and probation, to avoid a repeat of some of our Blazer difficulties. x;-)
  • You guys are making me sick with all that apologizing for your remarks and agreeing to agree, calling truces, agreeing not to disagree and opening the dance floor door for the other. Is this the same thread as the one about 'I don't mean to offend'? We expect a real exchange of opinions around here. x:-)Notes are being taken!
  • As a journalism major (like Leslie), I take great offense at any suggestions that any journalist would allow him/herself to have any opinions - no matter how faint - about any topical issues.

BTW... I cannot allow myself to even think about the merits of the case, Fascist Fox News v. Extremely insightful and witty Al Franken. I am totally neutral regarding this legal sham.