GRE

I have decided to obtain my Master's degree. I now am studying for the GRE test (Requrement for the school I want to attend) and I am not having FUN! Has anyone taken this test and do you have any advice? Please send 'smart waves' for me on May 13 (Test day). Have a good day!

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Surround yourself with bags of chips, salsa, beverage of choice, cold cuts, crackers and bread and watch 24 hours of back-to-back Jeopardy episodes. Hey, it can't hurt! x;-)

Good luck!
  • ...or read every thread on HR-de-har-har of this forum.
  • Beagle, back to back Jeopardy episodes sounds like a dream come true, but you forgot about the CHEESE! It makes you smarter, I swear. Especially if you eat Tillamook cheese from Oregon x;)

My sister just took the GRE - she said it was pretty painful. You might want to check out your local bookstore or amazon.com, powells.com, alldirect.com, etc to check out some of the "prep" guides they have with sample questions. Good luck to you!
  • I have taken the test and found it very difficult. I was able to do well enough to enter graduate school, but it was not a cake walk. It was much harder than the PHR exam.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-27-04 AT 01:35PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Congrats on going for your Masters. I took the GRE 29 years ago x:'( It was not fun then either. I did not study. I did get into graduate school, tho I don't recall scoring that high. My advice is don't worry too much about it.

EDIT: I lied. x:-8 I was having a senior moment. I did not have to take the GRE I had to take the Miller analogy. Also not fun. I stand by the rest of my statement.
  • Wow, Sonny... 29 years ago? You must be ancient. I took the GRE's for music a few years ago. Ok, 29 years ago to be exact.
  • Watch it Ray, I know for a fact you are older than I am.
  • I took out a Kaplan book on the GRE from the library and have been studying for about 2 weeks. I have about 2 more to study, but definitely NOT enough time! I get depressed every time I take a practice test b/c I don't do well. Penn State likes an 1100 on it, but the person I spoke to said that they have accepted scores of 700-1000. I am hoping for the 700 and maybe I can 'talk' my way into getting accepted! If I don't succeed the first time, I might take the MAT next. They accept those scores also and I hear there isn't any math on those.
  • You might want to find out how much you need to sweat the math. The scores are reported to the schools with a breakdown by area. If you're trying to get accepted into a program for which math isn't an essential skill, they probably won't be looking very hard at those scores. Or maybe that explains the 700-1000 folks.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • Back when I went to grad school, I had to pass the GMAT test. I don't know if that is similar to the GRE or not. The GMAT was long, but I don't remember it being that difficult.
    Good luck!
  • I took the GRE some years back but have no recollection of what it consisted of. It's sorta like being pulled over drunk and being tapped on the head with a police baton for 15 minutes...you just have no recollection of it. You see the results, but have no memory. I suggest you take a pain pill you've borrowed from your mother, drink three Miller long necks, eat a small filet wrapped in bacon and have a good friend give you a footrub. Then enter the room with your fist doubled up and pull it down tightly against your belly and exclaim, "Yesssss!" And in memory of Popeye, exclaim to the entire room, "I YAM what I YAM!"
  • Minus the GRE part and the footrub, that is EXACTLY what I did last Saturday night. Actually it may have been 4 miller lights, I'm not sure. x:D It worked for me, so it's gotta work for the GRE!
  • Something silly-It has in the Kaplan book to not drink coffee before the test. It says that people who didn't, had more energy for the test. I guess they did an extensive test on it........ Yeah, that is the most important advice they could give, not to drink coffee! I haven't heard anything good from anyone about this test. I just PRAY I only have to take it once.