Start new job next Monday

Hi everyone!

Haven't posted lately, but I have been reading the posts and I did take the type test that Christy posted - I'm a ENFJ.

So, my news is that I'm leaving my current company and going to work for a much larger one (we have 107 & the new company has over 400). I'm nervous, but also very excited. I'm going into the HR Manager position and the new company has two locations in Washington and one in North Carolina. In anticipation of the new position, I've been coming up with a mental "Do Over" list. It's the list of things that I wish I would have, should have or could have done differently if I had known better when I started. x:-8 One "do over" is that I would have been on the manufacturing floor more - right from the beginning - learning the processes, instead of focusing so heavily initially on the administrative functions of the job. How about it? Any "do overs"?

Thanks! Mandi

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good luck MWild! If I had it to 'do over' I don't think I'd get into HR, there's not enough room for my creative side.
  • Congrats Mandy - hope they know how good an HR person they are getting.

Do overs for me would include a heavier involvement in recruiting and interviewing - picking good people starts at the beginning of the process.

Good luck.
  • Congratulations, Mandi. Spending more time on the floor is a good one, indeed. Stay visisble and put the miles on. Plus it's healthy! As far as "do overs", I did my "do over" years ago. I threw away the loafers and now wear nothing but Nike Shox running shoes. They really come in handy when trying to outrun disgruntled ex-employees.

Good luck, Mandi. I can't wait to see your first post.
  • Thanks everyone! x:-)

I'm very excited about the new opportunity. The mantra I keep repeating in my head is: "Just don't mess this up, just don't mess this up." x:D I'm unsure if the new place subscribes to the Legal Update, but it's something I plan on adding if they don't. In case I'm not back though, I want you all to know that I will miss you guys and gals. Take care!
  • Congrats MWild -- they are so fortunate to get ya!

Now, let's change that mantra to: "I am totally prepared to be the very best HR Manager they have ever seen."

This forum prepares us for EVERYTHING! Have fun.

• Good luck Mandi. Bigger company will bring with it many challenges...take it one day at a time!

One 'do over' that I can divulge is that I would not be so willing to take the work unless I first saw the $$ and title (in that order). A couple of years ago I was asked to take over some of the HR work when the Manager was getting ready to retire. I've been stuck with it ever since.

Cheryl C.