Former Employee Keeps Applying Even after Multiple Rejections

Today's Hero Line article is a Q&A by South Carolina attorney Reggie Gay about a former employee who keeps applying for jobs at her former employee even after multiple rejections. How would handle this sort of situation? Is this a new trend because of the bad economy or is it something you HR veterans have always had to deal with?

[url]http://www.hrhero.com/hl/articles/2011/07/14/former-employee-keeps-reapplying-despite-rejection-letters[/url]

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This question came up on the forum recently. We have several "serial applicants".

Its always a little awkward. Often they were just average or marginal employees and we simply don't want to rehire them. They feel nostalgic about their employment experience here and dont understand why we dont share that sentiment.

But dealing with awkward situations is why we get paid the big bucks in HR right? Right?
  • I recently had a supervisor call me about a former employee who keeps re-applying every time there is an opening, even though she was fired and was told that she is not eligible for rehire. Some people just don't get it.

And then there are others who are rehired despite the fact that their prior performance was marginal and they had issues with things like attendance. We are dealing with one of those now, since her file did not specify not to rehire her someone did, even though her prior supervisor and I both advised against it. It wasn't long before she was up to her old tricks, and now she has gone on to "greener pastures" but I'm willing to bet that she'll turn up in a year or two, wanting to be rehired again.
  • We recently had an ex-EE apply for a position that would have been a step up from the one she used to have with us. On her application, she put that the "previous HR director" and the "previous VP of Ops" were discriminatory and forced her out four years ago.

Umm... I was the HR Director at that time. I guess she figured I had left, since my two predecessors averaged a year each.
  • Gee Frank. Looks like either you can be discriminatory even when you don't know it, or you can be even more dumb than others supposed you to be.

Wait! Is it possible the former employee had a thing for pants?
  • She may have, but I know she did NOT have a thing for work!