Due notice of change to PTO plan

Our organization is moving to a paid time off (PTO) plan come Jan 1 2010.  Is there any minimum days notice to provide employees of a change like this?

It is a real positive transition (3 weeks of current sick time is being moved to PTO to combine with current vacation balance) with an overall loss of only 2 days accrual when combined.  But, someone asked if we had a minimum number of days that we have to provide notice and I wasn't aware of one specifically for benefit changes like this.

Anyone?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not that I am aware of, but it could be state specific.  And I see that you are in CA, which of course is the other country in the USA!

My rule of thumb with these things is to give as much notice as possible.  You have over 4 weeks if you give the notice now. This allows the employees time to use up some leave if they want to and make sure you get all the questions answered by the time the plan goes into effect.

• Thanks ITHR - I couldn't find any reference that would be specific to this subject. 

CA is another country - my organization is also International; that is really interesting!  Have a great Thanksgiving, thanks again for the response.