Reassigning an Employee to a Different Shift.

A supervisor has requested that I consider transferring a long-time employee in one of our group homes from a day shift to a night shift. Can I unilaterally without cause make such a change if justification is provided, or should poor performance be documented? What valid recourse if any would the employee have? Thanks

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Depending on your policies you probably can make the change. My question would be why? If there is a performance issue address it, don't transfer the problem out of sight out of mind on second shift. I would want to find out why the request for the change.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • While it's not a policy, we encourage all managers/supervisors making shift changes to give the employee a minimum two weeks to get their life in order for the change.
  • If, by group home, you mean what I think you do, I wouldn't bounce the problem to another shift, especially if your group homes house children or infirm adults or those unable to make decisions for themselves. If the employee is any kind of problem at all, the best place to handle it is on the shift she works on, day shift, when more admin staff are available to handle the issues. Even with 'group home' in the equation, I've never thought this would be the proper way to solve a problem. But, your question was CAN YOU? and that depends on Montana law. Her recourse is whatever Montana law allows plus what's allowed under federal law already.
  • Assuming you can make this change and you do make it, how will the ee react? As Balloonman and Don said, you are just transferring the problem and if the ee is upset about the change, you could be magnifying the problem. Could you be setting them up to charge you with constructive discharge if they are unable to make this change and they believe it is retaliatory in any way.
  • ALL OF THE ABOVE HAVE GOT IT RIGHT! YES, YOU CAN MAKE THE CHANGE; HOWEVER, CAN YOU DEFEND THE FOLLOW-ON LEGAL ISSUES. It is always a best practice to make the supervisor/manager handle their own problem children within the company disciplinary policy and procedures. Question to the asking supervisor is, are you ready to fire or promote? If the answer is no to either, then there is no transfer. If the answer is yes, then there is no transfer without a full understanding of how this transfer will embellish the individuals career or assist the individual in "a change in behavior" which is obviously failing under his/her leadership!!!

PORK
  • Thank you for your input. Makes sense.