Am I Overreacting?

Our Accounts Receivable unit underwent a RIF at the end of 2005. This unit RIF'd 5 Accounting Tech positions due to outsourcing of the work. We retained 7 positions and each of these positions and people) have the same job duties. Out of the 5 positions, 2 people actually lost their jobs. Others who were affected either took early retirement or found other positions within the organization before the RIF actually took place. Yesterday, I hear that a decision had been made, and already carried out, to move a position into the A/R unit. This position was reporting to another supervisor in another unit, however it is thought that the duties and responsibilities better fit within the A/R function. This person does a different job than the other positions within the A/R unit,however apparently this person has more than enough work to do so the A/R unit can help her as needed.

I'm wondering if I'm just having a knee jerk reaction here? I don't think this looks good, but then again I'm thinking that we have two different jobs so maybe this doesn't send up a red flag? This move was made without consulting with me first, which they have been asked to do.

Any thoughts? I've expressed my concerns about this, but I am wondering if I shouldn't worry so much about it.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome, Autiger!

Hey, it never hurts to have a little healthy paranoia. EEs make claims that are baseless all the time, but it still costs time and $$ to defend against them.

In this case, I think your best defense, perhaps even more than the fact that the job duties are different, is that this is not a new position. If I'm understanding you correctly, no one is being added to you staff. An incumbent is simply being administratively relocated, and no one is being hired, right? RIFees should only have a legitimate beef when their (or a similar) job is filled by an additional staff person within a reasonable time after they were let go.
  • Julie, you wouldn't be an Auburn Tiger fan by any wild chance, would you be?

Anyway, I agree with Whirlwind. You didn't "re-open" a RIFed job, plus the job AND the person doing it moved into A/R for whatever reason. Unless you have some pretext laying around, which you certainly didn't indicate, it's stricty a business decision.

If the situation of "the A/R unit can help her as needed" grows into a fillable position in a rather short period of time, now you would have an issue. Keep an eye on that one.
  • Thanks to both of you. I'm feeling better now. Larry I thought of your last point as to watching out for the job duties of this position and ensuring it stays within current duties. I think we all know that jobs morph into others quite frequently. I will keep an eye on that.

Yes, I am an Auburn alum. War Eagle! I'm a little embarassed to admit however after their recent "no-show" at the Capital One bowl. Still, they had a good season overall.
  • Don't feel too bad, Julie. I'm a true Blue Michigan fan.
  • Welcome to the Forum, autiger, even if you're an autiger. I'm a Carolina Gamecock (lost the Shreveport Consolation Bracket Bowl) and a Vanderbilt Commodore (we didn't completely stink up the joint this season).

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Hey James, Vandy opens at Michigan this fall. Welcome to the Big House.
  • Yeah, I was a bit puzzled by that at first. In order to play Michigan, we have to cancel a game against Middle Tennessee State, a small-time school that keeps beating us. If we're gonna lose, we might as well lose to a big-time team on national TV.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Plus Vandy will get a pretty good paycheck for the day's work.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-11-06 AT 02:28PM (CST)[/font][br][br]If it's any consolation I went to high school in Nashville and my parents actually live about a mile from your offices. My heart is still in TN!

(sorry-thought I replied to Jame's post--I'll have this thing figured out soon!)
  • You did reply to my post, but Larry did it first.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com