Give a mid-year review??????

It is time in my company to give mid-year informal reviews. This is the first year at my company that we are doing this and I am promoting it as a way to follow-up with each employee on the goals and expections that were created at the annual review and see what kind of progress has been made and as an opportunity to sit and discuss other things that have occured since the annual review.

We have an employee that we are probably going to be laying off in the next week or two. That manager has the informal review done for the employee, but feels strange to give the ee their review and then turn around and lay them off.

I understand the managers point of view, but also see that the review may help the employee with future endeavors as well.

Would you recommond the review to take place or not?

Thank you for your insight!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would do the review.

1. It should help you in case you have any issues with the layoff, since you will have documented info.

2. What if the new widget contract goes through and you don't have to lay them off.

3. The supervisor is just trying to get out of doing more work.
  • I personally push for quarterly reviews and truly believe in them but here are some questions you should ask yourself before proceeding, not necessarily in weight of importance.
    Have the reviews already started or could they be delayed? Is this ee the only one being laid off and how often do you have layoffs? How sure are you of the layoff? Is performance a contributing factor for this ee or strictly not enough work available? Are there other managers doing reviews so this decision may impact them? Could this manager (who feels strange) say something during the review so the risk to your company is greater then the personal benefit to the ee? Would it look suspicious if this is the only review you don’t do before the layoff? Conversely, would it look suspicious if the layoff was done after the review? It may look like a factor to the ee and even a jury if the ee mentioned a possible health problem or other protected item during the review.

Notice, I don’t have an answer, only raised questions you may not have considered. The manager may not just be trying to get out of work but have had some valid concerns. Hope this helps.

• I would do the review even though the employee is due to be laid off. This employee should receive the same type of feedback as all of the other employees. Maybe even touch base with the employee again after they come back.
  • >"We have an employee that we are probably going
    >to be laying off in the next week or two..."

I guess here's a silly question - why wait a week or two? If you know now, why not right now?

That said, will everyone get a review in the next week or two? Or, is it over the next month? What's your timeframe for managers to have all of the reviews completed by?
  • Do it now as a normal course of business.
  • The informal reviews are to be done by my managers back to me by the end of 3rd quarter, so anytime from July to Sept.

The time frame for a potential layoff is a week or two. We are still discussing the issue and trying to see if this person would maybe fit into other open positions that we have in another location in the same city.

From the review point of view, your comments has given me conversation to have with that manager.

Thank you!
  • OoH! OoH! one more before you go - I understand the person is being laid off, not terminated, but when s/he goes to look for another job s/he will probably be asked what areas s/he excelled and which areas needed improvement. I feel strongly that this employee has a right to receive their final performance evaluation before they are laid off. Employee relations and your company's reputation applies to more than just the active employees. Companies get a reputation in their communities, people talk, and if your company gets a reputation for being unfair or not treating employees correctly, then you won't be able to attract "good" employees. You'll have to take what you can get, then your production and quality will suffer, and eventually loose customers. I may be making a far greater deal of your question than what it is your asking at face value, but it's important to think of the big picture ya'know! I would make damn sure the evaluation was done correctly before it's distributed.