Lost time reporting

I have an employee that was injured on 10/31/05 and placed on modified duty. As of 2/23/06 we were unable to accomodate the restrictions and he was placed off work. I am attemting to report to the employees how many days it has been since we have had a lost time work incident. Do I count from the original date of injury or the date he was placed off?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would go with 10/31/05. The incident happened on 10/31/05 which eventually resulted in lost time. This is literally what you say you are "attempting to report to the employees"; that is, how many days since the incident.

I better stop here before I start confusing myself.
  • I know that this sounds picky, but ae your reporting "how many days since you have had a lost time work INCIDENT or are your reporting to the employees how long it has been since an employee LOST WORK due to an INCIDENT. If the first, the date of the original injury, if the second then the 2/23/06 date.
    E Wart
  • Agree with E Wart. I would ask for clarification on your question. It is true that the DOI is 10/05, but the worker did not miss days until 2/06. OSHA asks for modified duty days, which would date DOI thru last day before missed days. Lost time days would start 2/06.
  • Can't remember what official person told me this, but I had an EE that went to see a doc regarding a repetitive motion shoulder injury on 12/31/03. He ended up having surgery in August of 04, and I was instructed to put the lost days on my 2003 form 300, because that is where the injury was recorded.

But that isn't quite what you asked, upon a second reading of your post. The way you phrase it - since we have had a lost time work incident - would lean me toward the date of the incident. Then again, I think the of work date makes a little more sense. Since this is sort of unofficial (you won't get in trouble with the government for reporting the wrong thing), I'd say go with what your common sense tells you is right. You know what you're going for with this reporting, and you know more about your company than we do! :>)

Good luck.