Outplacement Firms

Hi everyone,

Due to some technology advances it is likely that we are going to have to lay off a large number of employees. Since our entire industry is undergoing these same changes it is unlikely that our employees will find jobs with our competitors. We are in the financial industry and most of our employees are low to mid level clerical staff. We would like to help them transition out of the industry and are looking for an outplacement firm to help them. many of the companies that I saw on the web specialize in executives only. Does anyone know of a firm that they can recommend? Any advice on what services are most helpful? We are located in Chicago.

Thanks!!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I can't help but wonder what technology advances you are reffering to; since we too are in the financial industry.
  • Side by Side trading on the Chicago Board of Trade. Data Entry clerks is an area that we will not need as many staff as we have now.
  • >Side by Side trading on the Chicago Board of
    >Trade. Data Entry clerks is an area that we
    >will not need as many staff as we have now.

I am in Chicago too & facing a mass layoff with our office & an entire factory closing. If you do not fall under the requirements of the IWARN notice in Il. you can still take advantage of the Mayor's office for work force Development [url]www.cityofchicago.org/mowd[/url]. Go to that Website to find the different Workforce Centers around the city that offer help to displaced employees with interviewing skills, resumes, career counciling, financial planiing,etc. People are also allowed up to $5000 in addiational training if they would like to train for a new career or advance in the same field. This is all at no cost to the employer. The IDES (IL Dept. of Employment Services)is another source. Laura

• I had gone through a mass layoff myself - what I did was contact the local employment security commission. They put me in touch with the right (free) organization. The other areas I remember about a mass layoff are; the WARN notices, letters to local government officials notifying them of the event, seminars for displaced workers provided through your Employee Assistance Program, several plant wide meetings, a representative from the 401k plan to inform folks of their options. It seemed to me that a lot of folks were taking care of worker's comp. issues i.e. they put off surgery for carpel tunnel syndrom. Some folks took full advantage of FMLA. I kinda went overboard and provided each employee with a copy of their original application and/or resume and a copy of any awards or training certificates they received - at least they had something to take to their next job interview. Our plant was supposed to close, so I also had to pack up all the personnel files to be sent to a permanent storage facility.

Good luck!
  • We are also laying off about 150 employees. We are using RIght Management Consultants ([url]www.right.com[/url]). They are the largest outplacment firm in the world. They have programs for workers at any level from blue collar to executives. The quality is high.
  • thanks, I appreciate the information.
  • I have also had good experience with Right, both as a former client and as a provider of outplacement services.
  • Call your dept. of labor. I have had them out to do workshops for employees. Explain the unemployment process, explain what they have available for employees to help them with resumes, and job search. (They have business center with fax, copy, and computer assistance.)
    You have already paid for your outplacement company by paying your UI taxes.
    They were really good for us when we closed our operation.
    E Wart