Long term manager problems

I have a manager that has worked for me over the years and has been here this time for the last 13. Here is the problem...he used to be a great employee that worked hard, long and always tried to better the place. Most of the employees he has worked with over the years have not cared for him very much because he is very arrogant and moody. His marriage was in trouble and he decided to fix it, which is great. That was 3 years ago. Since that time he has turned into a leave early, makes his own hours kind of manager. Three examples: His wife thought he worked to much so he decided he was going to take every weekend off even though we are open on Saturdays and everyone else has to take there turn. Recently he decided he was going to work from 7:45 until 5:00 M-F instead of 7:30 to 5:30, he had to reschedule some vacation and ended up being short in his department so he hired a temp to fill in. Now, here is the rub, he did this without any authorization from the owner of the company...me! There isn't an employee that likes him anymore and he is more moody than ever. He is a talented guy but he feels he can make his own rules. To top it off he is making 30% above market because I felt loyal to him for all his years of service and he is only 44. I addressed the weekends off issue with him and told him that it will not happen again or he will not have a job. That was three years ago and now he has started this. To make the big bucks, six figures, there are certain things that have to happen. Do I fire him and move on or try and save him one last time? Any thoughts would be great!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Because these patterns have gone pretty much unchallenged for many years, I would attempt one last "come to Jesus" meeting with him telling him (not asking) exactly the behavior and performance he needs to exhibit or else face termination. I would be very candid about your expectations, put them in writing, indicating all of your demands in clear and concise format, but still giving some glimmer of hope that you belive he can turn things around. Be very clear, however, that failure to change his behavior on a regular and consistent basis will result in his demise. Scehdule a follow-up meeting in two weeks to review his progress (or lack thereof) and continue to schedule follow-up meeting over the next couple of months to let him know you are closely monitoring the situation. I would also ask him point blank if he thinks he can meet your expectations going forward, and if he give the slightest indication he cannot, I would ask him to consider resigning his position, and maybe even offer some sort of severence package to "help him out the door". Ultimately, my bet is that he has shown his true colors and is not a fit for your business. Let him go with dignity if it comes to that.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-14-06 AT 11:15AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I generally agree with vphr but have some additional thoughts. I would argue that, based on his length of service, you owe him the obligation of telling him exactly what you expect and where he is missing the mark. Very specific and clear information is due him. Describe how his behavior is to look if he is to continue to work with you. If he appears to be making an effort, but is still missing the mark, you should again reinforce what his behavior will look like if he is to continue. At some point in this continuum, it will become obvious that he is changing and you will have a better employee or not changing and you should then have an ex employee.
  • Belt and suspenders; aside from his work hours, is he able to "produce"? If he is still able to produce and work shorter hours - good! If he is not able to produce, you need to focus on where he is falling short. This is a performance issue that could result in a legitimate termination. You terminate him because he's not working long hours and he'll turn it into an age discrimination law suit. If the long hours were effecting his marriage and he shortened the hours and it improved the marriage - good! Was his performance being effected at the time and did you offer him access to the Employee Assistance program? The "moody" issue - this could be a result of drugs or alcohol. Or, more optimistically, he could just need some refresher training on employee relations.

I have a GPM that works 12 to 14 hours everyday. However, he spends a lot of time in the breakroom smoking or sneaking off to catch a nap. He's not very efficient at what he does. So, I wouldn't get hung up on the hours your guy works.

You can develop a plan for some reasonable goals for your problem employee to get back on track and get help and identify a timeline in order to achieve these goals. If he falls short, he needs to explain why. This should get him back on track or make a decision to move on. Either way, you get what you want and minimize legal problems. If he's not able to reach the goals you set forth that are reasonable, and you can afford a severance package, I'd offer it to him at the impass.

Good Luck!
  • I think VPHR hit the nail on the head.

That's all.
  • Basically, it's up to you. I'm not sure I would try to "rehabilitate" him. Sorry to say it, but you're not very good at following through with the consequences. x:-)

I would term and watch as morale around the place perks up. Sometimes, a "good" fire is good for the employee being let go. Give him some severance pay and a good reference and let him get on with his life - while you get on with your business.

Just my two cents.
  • I would be interested to see a cost benefit analysis between a decision to terminate with a severance package and cost of recruiting and hiring his replacement to the cost of the current low moral. Compare this to the cost of trying to work things out with the guy by giving him a legitimate path for correcting his behavior (which should be done anyway) and letting the employee make the decision to part ways with the company on his call. He may just decide it's time to pursue other interests. This makes for a clean break and when the owner of the company is confronted with the question "why is the position open?" he's got a "safe" answer. I think I would be a little uneasy about apply for the position to replace this guy under the current conditions. You've got to remember your reputation when you terminate an employee, especially long term ees. And again, don't forget about age discrimination. This guy has a large income to loose and a sour marriage and a bad attitude, he's got nothing to loose by taking the time to sue the company. Be good to your employees.
  • Hi Brother Bluto. I think we disagree, but that's okay. x:-) A cost benefit analysis? Let's see, the employee is already receiving 30% more than market, co-workers can't stand him because he is arrogant and moody (so they probably avoid him or go around him), he sets his own schedule and then hires a temp to come in without authorization and he hasn't been a consistently good performer for a number of years - the cost of continued employment should be evaluated in this case. Call me tough, but I guess I'm just not inclined to "baby-sit" someone making as much as this person seems to be making. At that salary, he should be performing at a high level and not dragging down the team, the owner or the company.