Termination Opinion

I'm looking for your opinion on this situation

Employee: Bob

DOH: June 2006

Benefit Eligible: August 1, 2006

Benefit Elected: Medical and STD

Bob was temping for Company when a position opened up that he was overqualified for. Bob asked the owner of the company if he could have the job regardless b/c he really needed the steady employment.

Owner says OK, but you will not be paid what you are used to making. Bob says that he understands and accepts position.

After a month, Bob gets mad at the owner and says that he is doing the work of a higher level employee and should be paid as such. Owner says to Bob, you knew when you took this job what it paid and I told you that we could only pay you what we were offering.

A couple of weeks later Bob's insurance benefits kick in and FOUR DAYS after his STD policy becomes effective, Bob files an STD claim and states that he won't be able to come back until after Christmas.

Company is not FMLA protected, which doesn't even matter b/c Bob wouldn't have qualified. Bob has no vacation time, no sick time accrued, etc. Bob will be out on Doctor's orders for a reoccuring back problem for an unspecified length of time.

Owner needs to fill the job permanently ASAP.

Would you recommend that Owner terminate Bob's employment since his STD is for an indefinite amount of time? Why?

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • yes. I have had this happen before and term'd. Our STD pays 50% salary for 12 weeks. It's meant to run concurrent with FMLA. However, new employee does not qualify. We opted to recruit and fill that position while EE was out. We ended up paying the full salary for the replacement and the 50% for "sick" EE until the 12 weeks ran out. We simply removed from payroll and stated "EE unable to return to work, STD benefits exhausted".
    You didn't state what your STD benefits are or how long they run, so I'm not sure if my example helps or not.

• It could be coincidental, but the timing and fact he wanted the salary increase, which I assume may have increased his STD, raises the posssibity he was planning on being out from the beginning.
    If you didn't do a background check - see what this hire will cost you, including having to refill the position, then use that info to show the cost effectiveness of good reference / background checks on future hires.
    You may also want to do a more extensive check on this hire to see if he is scamming you or the possibility he may create other problems when he comes back at Christmas.
    Let us know how this plays out.
  • There is no FMLA job/benefits protection, so the immediate inclination is to term--which is also legal and correct. The caveat--look at your company's policy, precedent in similar circumstances, and whatever may have been documented at Bob's time of hire.

As always in HR, work defensively. Bob's need to be out may be completely legitimate. But the fact that you have asked in this forum leads me to believe that your and/or your company may be suspicious. If there is truly reason to suspect Bob's intent, you should be prepared for a next step--challenge of some sort from Bob--and the nature of the challenge could be related to any number of details that you or may or may not have shared in your original post. Make sure you have your bases covered.

My experience has been that 95+% of the time, employees don't challenge an employer's decision, but the 5% of so that do come out of left field, totally by surprise.

Best wishes,
  • I like your forum name...you may appreciate this bumper sticker I saw the other day...it read "If it weren't for flashbacks I'd have no memory at all!"
  • Like my forum name, the bumper sticker is laden with truth--at least for me anyway!
  • No FMLA - let him go - his job has no protection and you have a legitimate business need to fill the position. At least he didn't try to tie it to worker's comp.
  • RE; ToTo's comment.

How would a reference check have helped you avoid hiring someone with a back problem that apparently either didn't exist or wasn't noticeable during the hiring/interviewing process? I agree that reference/background checks are good, but I don't think they would have helped in this case. A post-offer physical may have highlighted the problem, but then we all have an aching back at some time.

I agree; if not eligible for FMLA let him go.
  • I was picking up on the ee getting mad at the owner over salary after one month. Those red flags make me think this individual may have a “history” unrelated to any possible back problems and a reference / background check may have steered JM in ATL away from hiring. I agree with you that if he was a good hire and the timing was coincidental then the r / b check may not have helped. Does that help clarify my comment?

JM: Stilldazed cautions are very good and I also agree with other posts that term is probably the way to go.
  • Job needs filling and no FMLA, I'd term. Just make sure ADA isn't involved and double-check what happened last time someone filed STD and had no FMLA.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-16-06 AT 02:54PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'm going to provide a slightly different perspective, mostly because I want in on this to find out how this plays out!

We have a 1 year wait on STD and a 2 year wait on LTD and life insurance (all employer paid). I had never thought about it, but this way once they're FML eligible, they have the STD. Before that, there's no question and we can term.

I have always appreciated that we still provide disability when many companies have done away with it to cut costs. We looked at adding a couple of sick days and cutting disability, but came to the conclusion that many people feel entitled to use their sick time (and do!), and the ones we've had go out on disability have really appreciated the benefit.

So, I recommend you consider a long term solution of bumping out your disability waiting period. Short term, I don't know what I would do. It seems a little quick to term, but we are rather generous with our leave approval.

Good luck, and please do let us know what you do.
  • ok, so let me ask this question. Our STD kicks in the first of the month after 60 days. If we have someone go out at 90 days, would you term since they are not FMLA eligible, even though they qualify for STD benefits?
    We've only had this happen once before and we opted to pay until the STD wore out and then term'd. uggh. Now I've set precedence.
  • I'm not sure if you're asking ME, but I'll take a stab at it. :>) I probably would have handled it the same way that you did the first time - pay it out and then term.

If you don't want them to use, or don't think they should use, or aren't prepared for them to use the STD at 60 days, they why have them eligible at 60 days? If they're eligible, they should be able to use it.

I didn't say that in my first post because I couldn't really clarify my thoughts (I have the sniffles today and am a little muddled) but I think that sums it up.
  • I agree with HRCalico - I would bump out the STD eligibility date. With it beginning so soon after employment starts, I'm surprised this issue hasn't come up sooner. x:-)

As to the employee, I would term. I checked out the Georgia Department of Labor website and it doesn't look like your company will be on the hook for ADA or unemployment. It appears as though Georgia follows the federal guidelines for ADA qualifications and unemployment is based on the working the last 4 of 5 quarters - with employment in two quarters attributed to the current employer. I wouldn't pay so much attention to his other issues (pay, personality, etc.) and instead focus on the fact that he doesn't qualify for protection from FML and will be out for a long period of time necessitating a need to fill the position. Good luck!
  • Well - where do I begin? First, thanks all for your opinions on this, but it's as clear as mud right now.

The ee works for my husband's company and as some of you have speculated - this person is a Chronic offender of abusing WC, STD and any other benefit that lets him sit at home on his rear and not work. He is also known for being sue happy.

I know this b/c the owner and Bob have been life long friends for about 20+ years, which is the ONLY reason why he gave Bob the position. That is entirely another post altogether, but let it be known.

Bob works for hubby. The company is start up, it's small and there is no HR on site nor anyone who knows the first thing about HR, so guess who gets it all?

I asked DH for a copy of the STD policy so that I could make a better decision on this. He calls broker. Broker says, well, each STD policy is sold based off of what the ee wants and I can't give you a write up of all the different options.

HOLY COW do I see a sea of red flags flying right now!!! I went back to DH and said: Tell your broker to have that information to you by tomorrow including who has a policy and at what coverage or I will be contacting the State Insurance Commissioners office.

So, I'm waiting for it today. I would just love a clear cut and dry case for once.

I've always been advised though not to term people on STD, let it pay out... blah blah blah.

Would STD continue to pay benefits on a termed employee? Would he have to convert his policy and pay premiums out of pocket?
  • Terminate him..........call the insurance carrier and explain you believe this to be a completely bogus claim and that you would like them to investigate it.........and deny if at all possible.

My $0.02 worth,
    Balloonman
  • That's strange, I typed up a post, but it never posted...
  • What potential issues do you see if they were to terminate the employee?

Knowing how sue happy he is - I'm really hesitant to term. I need some more back-up.

Has anyone here termed someone on STD and if so, on what grounds and how did you phrase the termination?