Diabetic accommodation?

We have an ee who has been released by the doctor to return to work. This position is at a semi-remote location where the person is alone for long periods of time. During her absence, we had an ee from another location temporarily fill-in.
We are concerned about leaving this ee by herself when she returns to work, as the reason for her being out on leave, was that she was found at home unconscience for an unknown amount of time, had several heart attacks and was in an unresponsive state for almost a week after.
How do I handle this?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-02-05 AT 08:19AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Did the doctor have a job description? If so, she's released to work and that's that.

If not make sure the doc gets one and reviews and then gets you another note.

If you are truly concerned you could send her home until she produces the new note. That could cause a few problems, so maybe you could transfer her to a location with people around until you get it.

edit:
    Good point VS. Did the doctor have an accurate, specific job description that included the working alone information?
  • Require her to check in a couple of times a day and have the phone number for the local ambulance company handy just in case she misses a check in.
  • Or one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" devices. But it's no good if she's unconscious.

I'm with SMace - get a clarification from the doctor that she's OK to work alone.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • We have a similar situation and the doctor stated that the employee could not be alone. Now we do not know if he cannot be alone in the building or alone period. So we are awaiting even further clarification. Just wanted to make you aware of how clear you need to be with the doctor. They seem to give as little info as possible. The doc also stated that he should have a "I've fallen and can't get up" device as well. But we do not know if that was instruction to the employee or to us, the employer. Yes, MORE clarification! Not sure who is driving me crazier, the doctors or the lawyers!!!! :)
  • I agree w/VS the doctors make me crazy! They have little or no idea what the FMLA medical certification is all about and just fill in the blanks! I just go w/whatever they put down b/c I have too many other pressing issues to fight it!
  • I have faxed the doctor a copy of the job description, plus have advised him that this ee is alone often and that these are important issues to be taken into consideration prior to releasing her to return to work. Now waiting for the doc's response. Thank you for the advice! If the doc still says ok to work, then we will absolutely have to implement a check in procedure and/or a "I've fallen and can't get up" devices". The only problem with that is when diabetics go into a "low" they are sometimes unaware of what they are doing and therefore would not think to hit that button.
  • the I've fallen and can't get up device if required would be the employee's responsibility as I see it. Remember reasonable accomodation is an interactive two way process to assist the employee. They need to do their part.

My $0.02 worth,
    The Balloonman