Accommodations Deadline?

Is there a deadline that we have to meet when asked for accommodations? Like within 24 hours or 2 weeks or something?

Thanks....

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not sure, unless your state has a dictate.

My answer would be my canned answer--"it depends," and "what is reasonable?"

I think you have to look at the situation and the information you have. Do you have enough information to make a decision? What is the level of accomodation required? Specifically, is the employee prevented from working while you make a decision? Are you trying to determine what a reasonable accomodation would be?

I'm not an expert on ADA like some other forumites may be, but I can't imagine that legislation will dictate a timeline in the decision-making process when every case has to be reviewed individually and within the context of reasonableness to the employer. I guess I would answer with a question--what is the cause for not yet having a decision?

Thanks,
  • I've been trying several accommodations but the ee keeps saying "this one doesn't work" -- we're on #3 now. The first attempt was in her office within a couple hours of my receiving her physician's letter.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-27-06 AT 11:57AM (CST)[/font][br][br]#3? Keep in mind the accommodation must only be 'reasonable' not necessarily what the employee 'wants'.

Anne in Ohio
  • xclap

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Remember it is an interactive process......be patient and reasonable.....then if you decide enough is enough, and you can say yes I have been patient and reasonable....
    Then you can be done.

Balloonman
  • Thanks to all of you -- I believe that I've provided at least 3 "reasonable" accommodations. The ee is a very unreasonable person and is now demanding an entire new work station!
  • Sounds like you may have passed the reasonable stage. My next message to the employee might be that accomodation above and beyond what has been tried thus far is beyond reasonable, not required, and will mean that there is no longer an employment opportunity.
  • Meeting time, Dear Pain in Azz employee,
    We have looked at 3 reasonable accomodations but nothing seems to satisfy you. An entire new work station is not an unreasonable accomodation. While I regret to do this we are going to have to terminate your employment as we have been unable to find a reasonable accomodation for you. Good luck.

B'man