PTO as it relates to salaried employees

I am a new member, my name is Midge Hall. I am the Firm Administrator for a Nevada CPA firm.
The firm, at the moment is using partial day PTO. I understand that if the employee is in the office for any part of a day, in CA, I believe any period of time constitutes salary for the entire day. PTO is not required to be used.

What is the rule for Nevada? I thought we could only hit their accrued PTO if they were out an entire day?

Thank you for your help!!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi, Midge. Pleased to meet you.

Federal guidelines say that you cannot deduct for partial day absences, but the employer is permitted to charge the time off against any accrued PTO. Your state may differ, but only if it is more beneficial to the employee.
  • Welcome to the Forum, Midge. I was in Las Vegas on June 1. Very energetic city.

I believe you can check with the NV DOL to get state rulings on pto but my understanding is that federal regs say you can charge absences against pto but you can't doc pay for it.

Cheryl C.
  • Hi Midge!

As I understand it, you may not dock an exempt employee's pay when they are absent during part of a day (or work week for that matter), however, if you have a paid vacation/sick/PTO plan, you may use that benefit to make up the difference in pay.

I attended a seminar a few mos. ago where the instructor recommended that you ONLY use vacation/sick/PTO in 8 hour increments, otherwise you risk losing the exempt status of a position, but she admitted that many companies require exempt employees to use PTO in 4 hour increments with no problem.

We use PTO here in 4 hour increments.

Good luck,
    Open1