Dating

You are not going to believe this. I have a male friend, that's not the unbelievable part, who has signed on to one of the ever popular on-line dating services. Yes! I know this because another friend, female, was showing me the eligible bachelors and that's when I saw the photo of my male friend. He looks better in person than in phtotos. In fact, my daughter says he's "hot." Of course now I want to pretend to be an interested party. I've been told not to do it, but I can't resist. What would you do. Leave it alone, or have fun.

I'm at the office today because of early voting taking place at city hall. Maybe we'll have citizens come in and vote, who knows.

Comments

• 37 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not if you want to keep him as a friend. He didn't join up to be made fun of or for you to have fun at his expense. But, on the other hand, if you share your daughter's feelings and want to get him in the sack, go for it.
  • The sack might be fun, but I really enjoy our friendship and that would probably hinder it. He's got thick skin, but maybe it would embarrass him if he knew that I know about his dating situation. Maybe I'll join this service, email that I like pina coladas and set up a date at a local place. I wonder what his reaction would be if he saw me. I bet it would be, "Oh great, now I have to feed the bottomless pit, again."
  • Well, this ain't exactly Dear Abby; but, save your money on the subscription to the dating service, get him a nice Hallmark card, Put a condom inside and write him a note telling him you pack a mean picnic and asking him what he's doing Next Thursday after work. This way, he's not embarassed, his dating service thing isn't outed and you get to have your fun with him.
  • I like Don Juan's approach, minus the condom part. That's pretty straight forward. But, hey, I'm in no position to offer Playboy Advisor-type advice to women. This is weird. Can we please get some female intervention here?

• You won't be surprised to know that I believe in getting right to the point. Why fiddle-fart around with set-up blind dates, flowery cards and talk of picnics when that is not at all what her interest is. I saw through her first post right off. But, I'll now yield to the Monday Morning Male-less group to speak up now. x:-)
  • Now if it was (were) me, I'd take the direct approach. No games. I'd call him up and tell him I saw him on the on-line dating service and take it from there. If I valued his friendship, I wouldn't risk losing it by playing head games. Those 'pina colada' type meetings are deceptive and don't in reality turn out to be fun.
  • Playing a practical joke with his heart is a sure-fire way of losing him as a friend. I think most of us can take a joke except where our ego lies in being successful in love.

IMHO, if he does have 'thick skin', and if you are sincere in your interest, then don't spend money going through the dating service. Run, don't walk, to the nearest Hallmark store and buy him an appropriately sentimented card expressing how you feel. Invite him to a dinner OR movie OR picnic for a fun date.
  • You sound like you think there is something "wrong" with online dating? What's the big deal? It can be a good way to meet people. I've done it many times, and the people were no better nor worse than ones I met elsewhere. That said, I don't think it would be very "good friend" of you to try and deceive this person. Several years ago I was looking at pics on a dating site and saw a pic of a guy I'd known for 20 years, but hadn't seen in several years. I signed on to the site (2 week free membership) just so I could email him, but I let him know immediately that it was me. We got together and have dated off and on for the past 5 years and continue to be the "best of friends".
  • Ouch, I feel as if I'm a bad gal. The whole intent of the original post was to get a rise out of Don! The man whom I am writing about is a very good friend and I would never jeopardize that, with or without a condom. We already know we could never date. He's a Spurs fan and I'm a Rocket fan!
  • I think I'm missing a step here or something. Why would you "pretend" to be interested. Don't understand if you are saying you are interested for real? But, I guess either way, I'm in the "be straight with him" camp/no deception.
  • I would leave it alone. Even if he does have a great sense of humor, this would most likely backfire. Regardless of what I think about dating services personally (and I don't think too highly of them or the people that use them) they are a serious social venue for some and if he's felt the need to visit it, "joking" about it might hurt his feelings.
  • Well HMMMPH! "and I don't think too highly of them or the people that use them"... aren't we being judgemental, narrow minded and most likely a republican.
  • Don't mince words, Judy. Tell us what you really think. x;-)
  • Whew! I'm glad I didn't make reference to the type of people who use the internet to get a date.
  • Judy, Judy, Judy! I am not judgmental just a little critical. Neither am I narrow minded but a tad biased. But you can bet your boots I'm Republican.

Look who painted Republicans with a broad brush stroke. Geeeezeeez
  • Pllleeasseee! It's Don I wanted to mess with, I never thought the rest of the group would get this involved. Am I the only person alive with a broken "give a sh-tter?" Let it go!
  • Well, c'mon now, Rockets. Think about it. You posted on a public forum. What did you think? Did you think only Don would be invited into the thread? We'll help you develop a thick skin and maybe some decorum.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-04-05 AT 06:30PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Its just an opinion; much like most of the postings within this forum. And let's face it, we're all judgemental and narrow-minded within the frames of our own references. And Yes, PROUDLY REPUBLICAN!
  • Hey Rock, leave it alone. You said he was a male friend, not a very good male friend. Men do not want to be questioned about something as sensitive as this.

Do a Captain Smid(?), "I know nuthing".
  • I agree with all the other posters. Nothing would be more humiliating for a guy than to trick him like this. And, if he's a good friend already, my advice is to leave it alone. Nothing screws up a perfect friendship more than getting involved!!!
  • I never had any intention of saying anything to him. He's my friend, I would never hurt him. That's also why I'll never date him. The plan was to get under Don's skin. I'm still learning his hot spots and just wanted to have some fun. One more time, I never will trick my friend or deceive him in any way. He's one of the few people who tolerate me.
  • The whole intent of the original post was to get a rise out of Don!

Why would you try to get under MY skin. Right now, I'm one of the few people who tolerate you too. You might rather have your Hot Male Friend pissed off at you than me. x:-)
  • Making a friend with someone is the best way to meet your future husband. I understand not wanting to ruin the friendship (negative aspect) but what if you met the best man you could ever dream of marrying??? (positive aspect)
    I don't like when men and women use the "we are friends and I do not want to ruin the relationship" excuse. Just tell it like it is-- one of you are not interested, no chemistry etc!
  • Was he related to Sgt. Schultz?
  • No relation to Sgt. Schulz. He does have family in Oklahoma, though. Don, thank you for tolerating me. I'm kinda like mold. You might think you got rid of me, but I come right back. I truly am a lovable woman.
  • That's it! Schultz! Could not access that file. Watch it Don. Looks like Hotlips Rocket is looking to stir the pot. (no pun intended)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-03-05 AT 03:47PM (CST)[/font][br][br]If you and he are really good friends and he has not told you about the dating service then I would think he is sensitive about it and does not want you to know. (Probably because he thinks you would make fun of him for joining)

Just because you know it doesn't mean you need to say anything about it.

Sorry - Just caught up with everyone.

• I'm going to say this real slow...I have never had any intention of hurting my friend. This was a guise to draw Don D. out and and manipulate him into posting on this site. That's all.
  • Plueze, Rock, we know already. If The Don responds to any of your inane posts in the future, I'll be surprised. Why on earth would you want to irritate the man? Not to mention wasting my time as well.
  • Be careful Don, this has the makings of a fatal attraction. Next thing you know HRRockets will be boiling rabbits in your kitchen.