Height Advantage

Well, last week we learned that women earn less than men do because they are... um... nicer. Past studies have shown tall people earn more than short people. Now we learn that tall people not only earn more but they are smarter, too.
[url]http://health.aol.com/news/story/_a/new-study-taller-people-are-smarter/20060828160609990001[/url]

Isn't that wonderful?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I can attest to this from personal experience.

Way back in the day, our Bball coach used to list me on the roster at an even 6' tall. He figured the opposing team would be intimidated thinking I was so tall.

And boy howdy, was I ever smart! The minute they started listing me at 5'11" I immediately dropped three IQ points. I could hardly tie my shoes.
  • I'm 5'10" and can go along with 2 out of 3 of the claims.

• I'm not sure that is correct. I am 6'8" and my wife of 42 years can't figure out why I am so dumb.
  • I can kind of see the extra tall thing. What about extra heavy?
  • Appearance makes a difference. I'm short and female, chubby, approaching the half century mark... I keep reading stuff about the impact of height, and get shocked when people tell me I am a leader and look up to me. I always think they are kissing up so I don't take it seriously.

Personality plays a huge factor in this. My boss is short, fat, has tons of charisma, could sell swamp land in FL during a hurricane. But he's also honest and ethical to back it up, and tremendously successful.

I hire "extra heavy" people when they have the job skills. Maybe I work at it a little harder to see past the size, or the disfigured face, or...but isn't it our job to see past these things?

I love people, as long as they are trying hard to do their best and support the organization that pays our paychecks. At least I like to think I do.

Enough of my soapbox. :-?
  • My boss is 5' 6" by 5' 6". I'm considerably taller and thinner. He definitely makes more money than I do and if you ask him, he's much smarter than I am.