I hate My Job

Well, not all of it. Just what I'm doing today. Another round of layoffs. In August and October I had to layoff a total of 120 people. Today another 35. One of whom is my cousin - she cried. One big young guy with a shaved head sat in my office and cried. I hate my job.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That sucks!!! But look at the bright side it could have been 120 again instead of only 35. Are they going to be called back?
  • Since we got rid of the deadwood in the previous layoffs, most of these could be recalled. But, we aren't expecting more work until mid-year.
  • Ray-I feel for you. We just underwent a large reduction in force at the end of 2006. I thought I would get away from it when I left my last employer where we underwent several RIFs over several years. It never gets any easier.
  • Ray, hang in there. As momma always said, "This too shall pass..." On the flip side, currently my biggest ongoing opportunity is trying to find qualified full-time applicants. We are in the financial business and really don't want to have to start from square one with a new, totally green employee. I will take my "problem" over yours any day....
    Good luck
  • I understand. Although we are not doing layoffs, last week I had to have an employee resign. She was a good employee, but unfortunately the doctor put something on her physical (required) that showed she was not able to do the job we had for her. (no accomodations possible) She sobbed and cried. She is in the process of putting her life back together after a fall out and this was just one more step back for her. It was sad.
  • Hey Ray, hang in there. I know its hard for you because you are a good, decent man and you care for people.

You might check out "The Resiliency Advantage". Its an interesting book on the factors that cause some people to be able to bounce back from difficult challenges (divorce, lay offs, etc) and how others cannot.

Hope next week is better for you.
  • I understand. I haven't had to layoff in years and the only time we had to was when the company was shutting down. It is not easy and somehow I think companies could do better planning. I worked for one company that let a person produce her own staffing model pulling numbers out of the air. Well down the road they laid off half the employees because of her poor management. That is what really bites-poor management that creates too many jobs and gives a person a false sense of security and then just destroys their confidence. By the way, the woman is still their. Go figure...
  • I have never had to do layoffs and am grateful.

I'm sorry this has been part of your life lately. Even sorrier to those who lost jobs they needed.

When I have to give bad news, I always remind myself that it's a heck of a lot harder on them than it is on me...
  • You're right, HRQ. It was a sad day, not because I hated that part of my job but because we lost some good people.